Sunday, January 19, 2014

Superbowl, Seattle Waterfront, and a Medical Update:

GO HAWKS! SUPERBOWL! WOO-HOO!

Bikey Stuff:
Went for a little ride today, before the game. I headed down town to the waterfront, past the rail yard and made my way over to Ballard Locks. Crossed at the locks making my way through Ballard and back along the Burke-Gilman Trail.

Down town I ran into the ever present ( and always shifting) road block for construction. I had to make a little detour, but traffic was light and the riding wasn't bad at all. Ended up packing the bike down some stairs to get to the waterfront. 

Made about a 15 mile loop.

seattle-waterfront-cycling-140119-04
Seattle waterfront
seattle-waterfront-cycling-140119-05
Space Needle from the waterfront
seattle-waterfront-cycling-140119-06
Puget Sound / Elliot Bay
seattle-waterfront-cycling-140119-08
Along the rail yard
seattle-waterfront-cycling-140119-09
Ballard Locks
Rachel Update:
The transplant is once again on hold. We are fighting an infection. They had to pull her central line as it's most likely the source of the infection. She also now has leukemia blasts in her spinal fluid. This has to be treated separately from her other leukemia, so once the infection is cleared they can will begin another round of chemo for her blood, and also treat the spinal fluid with another type of chemo. When all blasts are gone and she's recovered from the latest chemo she can once again move on to transplant.  And so it goes.


16 comments:

  1. Is this your road bike or the new hybrid? Hard to tell in the pictures…

    Hope the treatments are going well and she can keep her spirits up.

    And Hawks? Who/what? I assume football...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treatments are going fine. Just tired of the delays and the waiting.
      lol - neither my road bike or the hybrid. It's a frame Ron bought and built up for me. The theory is it would replace my road bike which is a little big for me. Reality is I love my old road bike and can't give her up ... so I've added yet another bike to the stable. ;)

      Delete
    2. Seahawks yes football. :)
      We kind of caught the football bug while here.

      Delete
  2. hang in there Blue and keep positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I will say a prayer for Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Rachel update Bluekat...I hope things go fast and well with the infection so the next treatments can begin. I know she's still being tough and brave. Please give her my regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom, I will.
      Yes, still one tough cookie!

      Delete
  5. Kari:

    It's been a while since I have been to Ballard, and also a while since I have been to Fremont too. Have you seen the troll under the Aurora bridge, north side ?

    I used to ride a lot too but I think 15 miles now would "do me in". Nice that you are taking some "me" time to get your mind off things

    I wished there was something we could do, but we can only wish that Rachel's treatment progresses as planned and you both return to normal lives.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Yep, we've spotted the troll.
      It was raining that day, so we just drove by and stayed in the car. Need to pay a real visit.
      Thank you for your thoughts. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Kari, good to see you're getting out there, where you might likely refuel, and get your mind of things. I cannot even begin to understand what Rachel and yourself must be going through (I don't have kids…) but I am sending you my heartfelt wishes for strength and recovery, and hope that another window for a transplant opens soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonja,
      The bicycling helps and hearing from old friends helps too. :)
      Thank you for the well wilshes. It's been a long haul, but hopefully soon we'll be back on our way to transplant.

      Delete
  7. Pretty pictures even with the grey skies.

    Sure hope Rachel is feeling better. Sure has been a long road but I hope that it gets easier and she feels better as it goes along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I add to the others my well wishes for Rachel's healing. Life can be so very . . . very . . . alive. It certainly doesn't follow our plans does it.

    Funny how stables grow isn't it?

    Hang in there and know seldom a day passes I don't think of you all. May all be well and may all your blessings easy.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how I missed this post. I sincerely apologize.

    Love, hope and blessings for Rachel. And for you, also. I can not begin to imagine. You are strong and courageous. All of you.

    ReplyDelete