Thursday, April 10, 2014

Montlake Neighborhood

Another sunny day, another walk about the neighborhood. I tried to come up with a theme: little hidden pathways, or pretty porches with flowers, but I couldn't settle on anything so just snapped a pic here and there just to get a feel for the area.




The neighborhood of Montlake has some beautiful old houses. Some are quite grand with intricate details, others are more modest, but quaint. Most of the yards are beautiful and the ones that are not, are generally overgrown, hidden jungles that are almost as pretty as the landscaped ones, and certainly interesting in their own special way.
One of the few houses that was not hidden deep in the greenery and flowers.




Pretty hillside yards. There are houses there somewhere.




Funky bicycle art floating amongst the trees




Post your favorite poetry




Sometimes it's liking walking through a floral tunnel




Cute little swing along the sidewalk


I still had some time, so I decided to check out the path along Lake Washington that crosses Marsh and Foster Islands.
Walkway connecting Marsh Island




Calm water under the 520. No kayaks today.




I figured it would be a quagmire this time of year, but found the trail to have a fresh layer of bark dust that for the most part kept the trail dry. Nice! I hadn't been down this way since last summer.




Wetland just off the trail.





Looking back toward the hospital and Husky stadium




Montlake cut




Back to the Medical center for hospital coffee and Haagen-daz. Couldn't wait to get the photo before taking a bite!




A few more pics just because I'd rather end with pretty flowers than half eaten ice cream.







According to blogger this is my 300th post. How about that!

15 comments:

  1. Wow. What a beautiful area. Love the poetry posting spot.What feels like the total absence of beauty in ones life makes one see the beauty in every single thing. I am glad you are surrounded by beauty these days. And a few sweet treats don't hurt any either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha.
      There is much beauty in this world. Sometimes just have to look for it.

      Delete
  2. Looks like Spring is in full bloom over there! Then again, you guys do get the rains for it.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dom
      Full bloom and probably full allergy season for those who suffer. :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on 300 posts!

    Beautiful photos of the neighborhood sidewalks and walkways and nice find with the bike sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,
      Thanks. Yeah the bike...was walking by and barely noticed it, then "holy cow is that a bike up there!" It even had shoes attached to the pedals. :)

      Delete
  4. Such a pretty area. I just love all the different tones of green this time of year interspersed with the bright flowers.

    So glad it isn't just pouring down rain on you up there. Dreary grey days don't help to keep the spirits up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trobairitz,
      Everything is so lush. Sometimes the sunshine makes me sad because there is so much more I want to do on a sunny day, but I know this is where I need to be right now, and sunny days makes everything just a little bit easier.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures Kari! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the sunshine for a bit and get a breath of fresh air! Love the old homes!
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debi,
      Thanks for posting.
      See your comments did show up. I too love the old homes. Always wanted one when I was younger, but now I don't want the upkeep that goes along with them. I'll just enjoy from afar so to speak. :)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely neighbourhood. I want to get out the boat and venture out on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the boats. I so want to go kayaking up here! There's even a rental place close to the hospital. I may have to get some yakking in when the water warms up.

      Delete
  7. Kari:

    sure looks like Spring there. Lots of flowers. Didn't notice anyone else walking. You had the trails and sidewalks to yourself. I would have been tempted to sit on that suspended swing but I don't think the branch would have held me.

    I liked your half eaten ice cream. Made me want to have a bite when you weren't looking. That means you are a leftie but doesn't your G10 have the shutter button on the right. I used to hold mine upside down whilst riding. I sort of adopted your technique

    bob
    A weekend photographer or Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a very quiet neighborhood, though more lively and inhabited than my neighborhoods back home. There were people out in their yards, but they were hard to spot amongst the lush greenery and flowers.

    Yes, I'm a leftie. I held the G11 in my left hand and fired the trigger with my pointing finger. My hand would cover most of the screen, so I was pretty much shooting blind. Guess that helped me keep my eyes on the road and not on the camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely. Post your own poetry, nice. Our flowers are just beginning. We had a mild frost last evening which will probably slow things down a little. The trees seemed fine this morning and still in their glory. Many with allergies would have been happy to have the frost be a little harder :^)

    ReplyDelete