Sunday, May 24, 2015

Cairo IL-Jackson MO

Saturday - May 23

We crossed the Mississippi River today and rode into Missouri. The first part of our day was pleasant riding, but for me the highlight was the bridge crossing. I love bridges and it’s always a treat when I get to cross one with nice wide shoulders so we can ride in peace and enjoy the view.
Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge over the Mississippi River

Jo up ahead on the bridge
Suspension cables
Cables and tower

Mississippi River 
Cape Girardeau 
Ace and Jo

Kari (me!)

Are you about tired of this bridge yet?
When we finally finished crossing the bridge, we dropped down into the town of Cape Girardeau, MO. We went looking for more bridge photo ops and once the photographers were well satisfied that we had captured every angle, we set off towards downtown in search of sustenance.
Welcome!
Yep, more bridge pics
Did I mention that I love bridges?
Okay. I'm finished now.
River campus at Southeast Missouri
Lunch was at a nice little Italian restaurant, and after that we rode down to the levee wall to view some of the murals there. The murals were well-designed and featured celebrities, artists, writers, athletes, musicians, writers and other famous persons from or associated with the state of Missouri.
Murals along the levee wall 

Mark Twain - one of my favorites!
Roger had plotted a route through the city, but we were foiled by local road construction and we could not find a way to connect with his chosen route. We were left to ride through the business district (what I call strip-mall hell) on a busy 5 lane highway. It was not pleasant, but it was the only route we could find. Intersections were huge affairs with turn lanes, and there were no crosswalks anywhere. Miles and miles of business only accessible by auto. Roger, May, and I de-stressed by watching an old Denzil Washington movie: Deja Vu. Good way to wrap up the day.

2 comments:

  1. Love the murals, but I a also a big fan of bridges, and fully understand that your photographer's eye had to capture these. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the bridge photos!

    ReplyDelete