Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Johnson's Shut-ins

May 26

Today we took a rest day - time off of the bikes. We slept in. We wiled away the morning and in the afternoon we took a hike down to the Shut-ins.

Shut-ins is a term used to describe a river that is shut in by rock walls and cannot change it’s course. It makes a great place to go wading/swimming and just escape the heat of the day. It was a busy place today. The trail continued up over a ridge then back down to the river. About a 2.5 mile hike. Finished up the afternoon with ice cream.
Black River
Jo
More wildflowers
Wildflowers and rocks...gettin' artsy now

The "shut-ins"
Stairway that lead up and over a ridge above the river. 
Nice, deep pool 
Trail pic 
more  trail, more flowers. 
Butterfly. We see a lot of these.
Little mossy world
Luna moth. I guess these are a little unusual to see. 


5 comments:

  1. I'm not that big on the Shut-Ins. Elephant Rock and Taum Saulk Mountain are my favorite spots. Pretty country, isn't it. I will admit to being surprised by all the interesting and beautiful places. When I moved to Missouri I don't know what I was suspecting, but I'm glad I found what I did instead.

    The trucks are a bugger on my Kymco. I can imagine how difficult on a cycle. And, yep, no shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shut-ins were interesting to see, but I think the big draw is swimming there on a hot day. The scenery is pretty with a rocky, rugged landscape, but not too different from some of our creeks at home. That's one draw back on bikes, even with a car around we're somewhat limited on what we can go see. Sometimes you miss the best stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shut-ins were interesting to see, but I think the big draw is swimming there on a hot day. The scenery is pretty with a rocky, rugged landscape, but not too different from some of our creeks at home. That's one draw back on bikes, even with a car around we're somewhat limited on what we can go see. Sometimes you miss the best stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pool looks so inviting. I bet it was nice to have "a day off".

    ReplyDelete