Sunday, May 31, 2015

Kansas!

Hallelujah We are OUT OF MISSOURI!
Kansas - Yay
Nice flat Kansas.

Today was a nice riding day. We skipped the last of Missouri’s hills. Ace and I started in the middle of nowhere at an intersection in the road. Roger went back for May and Jo and they all joined us in the little town of Golden for coffee, biscuits and gravy, and glorious pie at Cooky’s Cafe

Some locals warned us of some flooded roads up ahead. Have I yet mentioned how much more welcoming people seem to be to us cyclists now. The Ozarks simply felt hostile all the time. It’s left a sour taste in my mouth for that part of Missouri. The folks at Golden (and Everton) have been wonderful. May drove ahead and found that the flooding had receded enough that we could follow our route to Pittsburgh. 

Weather today is too much like Oregon. Grey, overcast skies and a mist falling at times. It’s unseasonably cold too, but once I’m warmed up it’s pretty comfortable to ride in. 

Flat roads. Glorious, wonderful flat, flat, roads! 

We are on the prairie now, it would seem. I’m enjoying the expansive views. I rode at a relaxed pace most of the day. Drivers weren’t hostile (excepting one), dogs were a non-issue. The few I saw were contained, and didn’t even bother to bark. 

We arrived in Pittsburg KS about 2:00 pm and found our way through quiet neighborhood streets to our motel for the evening. A nice day of riding and it’s good to be “home” for the night. 
48 miles
Cooky's Cafe 
Abandoned house
Roger 
Flooded river - fortunately the water had receded off of the road
Roger and Jo with a black cloud over their heads
Funky old place
Thiefs beware of mad owner
Glorious flat roads! 

Kari, Jo and Ace in Kansas

11 comments:

  1. You definitely look and sound happy to be in Kansas or at least no longer in Missouri. Is the prevailing wind in your favor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shows that much? :) Yes very happy.
      We have been surprised at how much we've had the wind in our favor. We keep wondering when it will turn against us ... and we know it's coming. We've had a lot of tailwinds, including today. Woot!

      Delete
  2. Kansas, already. Wow, you've made some progress. Beware of tornados. And say hi to Dorothy and Toto, and Aunt Em and Uncle Henry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I know, it surprises me too. Hard to believe. I'll say hi to the whole OZ gang when I see 'em! :)

      Delete
  3. bring on the monotony that is Kansas....at least, that's what I recall from the super slabs.....perhaps you'll be in right time of year for all the sunflowers to be in full bloom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger keeps saying now we have to fight the boredom. I don't know when the sunflowers bloom, but I would love to see fields of them. So pretty and so photogenic!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the flatlands. Let's hope the State is good to you and the dogs are all leashed/contained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandy, thus far the dogs have been very well behaved - yay! More farmland/cattle, perhaps dogs at large are less tolerated here.

      Delete
  5. Enjoying your blog so much. Thank you for the ride. It's been great and I'm not a bit tired. Keeta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keeta and thanks for reading :)
      Are you friends with Jo and Ace?

      Delete
  6. Yes. Hostile. I grew up in a similar culture. I remember the stories of trucks aiming to hit joggers and bicyclists in the back of the head with their side mirror. Then it nearly happened to me. I'm very glad you are out of there. Don't relax too much, tho... xo

    ReplyDelete