Saturday, September 10, 2016

Henline Mountain

I am going to die. Today we did Henline Mountain. 4.8 miles, 2240 elevation gain. By Nanci’s numbers it was 6 miles. It was painful. And it’s not even half of what we have to do on South Sister. South Sister. It's gonna kill me.

I bonked on the way up and had to eat and take a pretty big break before we continued. Felt okay afterwords though, so think I just need to eat better.

My arms and shoulders were really fatigued using the poles. I didn’t use them on the way down, and I didn’t miss them. Other than when I bonked, my legs had probably their best day hiking ever. My knees and quads never felt bad. My ankles and feet got a workout on the stones, but even they, though tired, are fine. Wore my NB shoes.

We had lunch at the site of the old lookout. We didn't hike on up to the true summit.

Ron really suffered on the way down. His legs got very rubbery and his knees were suffering. He kept at it slowly and with breaks. Nanci suggested some knee braces for added support.

My garmin recorded part of the route and gave me a max 38% grade. I don’t know if it’s a true grade or a blip in the signal. Be nice to know the grades.

It was a near perfect day for the hike. The sun got hot in the afternoon, but for the most part we were in deep shade.


Ron crossing a rocky section. There were a number of these.
Kari, Ron, and Nanci at a viewpoint 
Dappled light on the trail 


What is Nanci taking a photo of?
Balloons! Didn't expect these. 


Mt. Jefferson 
at the top (Look out) 
Our "summit" for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment