Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Albany paper mill closes

  I was reading at my lunchbreak today about the closure of the Albany Paper mill. Even though I knew it was coming, I feel bad for the people who work here. I managed to capture one quick pic on my commute home (cage not bike).



Here's a better one from last summer.


I've been commuting I-5 since I was 5 years old. Salem to Lebanon, Lebanon to Salem, either riding or driving most all my life. To my brother and I it was the "stinky" mill. I don't know if it really was the culprit or not. I remember when they built the first tall smokestack, and years later I watched the new, bigger stack go up. We have a friend who raced up the stairs of that thing...exercise for the nightshift. In the 80's the sawdust(?) pile caught fire and smoldered on for weeks. I can't remember a time when it wasn't making paper.

My thoughts and prayers to the families who will be effected by this closure. It's not much to offer, but all I have.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know the mill was closing. That's been a real "anchor" for Albany. Thank you for the reminder to be prayerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bluekat:

    It's sad when people lose their livelihood from no fault of their own. Years of dedication to a company and you find yourself out on the street and possibly losing everything you have saved for. It is very sad indeed.

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting how the manager got moved to Springfield to manage there. Maybe he can find room for some of his former Albany folks.

    I'm with you. That mill has been a fixture forever. Crappy time of year to lose a job, isn't it? There's never a good time but Christmas is the worst, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike
    I had heard about the closure earlier this fall, but seeing the quiet smokestacks was a sad reminder that that time had come. And with so many other places cutting back, it's a tough time for many.

    Bobskoot
    Yes it is very sad. It's tough when you're young, but I think it's doubly hard to start new when you're older. Sometimes there's not enough time left to rebuild what took years to build in the first place. There doesn't seem to be much room for "dedication" from business anymore.

    Irondad
    I agree, terrible timing. 200+ out of work...in this economy, well, seems pretty grim. I hadn't heard that about the manager. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete