Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ring Around the Valley


There are rides that leave me wanting more, and rides where I get my fill. Today was a nice, fulfilling ride. At the end I was ready to ride home. The route is a nice 150 mile loop ride around the Willamette valley. Ron and I ride out to Scio then up highway 226 to Camp Morrison Road and Hannah Bridge.
Hannah Bridge

Thomas Creek

We loop around some of the backroads in this area and as usual I  get us lost. I always seem to get lost when I'm on the motorcycle. Maybe I should rethink that GPS thing. Surrounded by foothills and creeks, there's really nowhere to go and eventually we find the right road (Jordan Rd) back to the highway.
Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Jordan Oregon

The route continues onto Kingston-Jordon Road and we start to wind our way back towards Stayton, and then Jefferson. Too hungry to stop, we continue past Ankeny wildlife refuge and ride on to lunch at Starduster Cafe at the Independence airport. Two other riders are there as well as the Sunday crowd. As expected lunch is delish', and we head out with tummys full.
Starduster Cafe

We ride out to King's Valley and mostly have the road to ourselves - perfect. Afternoon is getting on, and it's starting to get cold, so We turn off at Maxfield Creek Road and head back towards home. I don't think we could have come up with a better first ride for 2010.
King's Valley Community Church


6 comments:

  1. Nice road trip and pictures. You've got some nice small towns and country around you. I really like your pictures of the small churches in your area too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BlueKat:

    Nice roads and very nice title header image. Very saturated colors, esp the green. New Years is a busy time for us with a set timetable. It was a good day for a ride, but didn't.
    Glad some of us had a chance to enjoy

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Mike,
    Yes, it's a nice area. I love finding these little gems tucked away off the main roads. I've lived here all my life, and I'm still discovering places I haven't visited before.

    I love the little country churches as well. They have a lot of character in small packages. I imagine most have quite a rich history behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bobskoot,
    Thanks! Sometimes I like to get a little crazy with the saturation.
    Then I getting to fretting that it's too much.

    I hear you on the busy schedule. Holidays are supposed to be, well a holiday, but more often we're busier than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the one beauty about GPS I really appreciate when exploring new areas. A rider can wander all they want without care. When it's time to go home, just push that button on the GPS and off they go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's silly, I know I would love GPS. I love maps. I love google earth. I love finding a line on a map and seeing where it goes. It seems like GPS would bring me some of that in a little electronic package, and get me to lunch at the same time.

    But barring the fact that I work on a computer all day, have managed to figure out a couple different cameras, and can almost run a cellphone...I'm a technophobe. or maybe techno-fail would fit better. I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to figure out GPS. :)

    ReplyDelete