Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lowering links & how not to lower a bike

My valentines request was to return the Suzi to factory height. We went back to the stock links. I took a couple photos at the start of the process, then got bored. I'm duly impressed with you folks who can document your modifications with great detailed photos and write ups.
 
Three inch lowering link ...no fair peeking at the chicken strips!
 
Stock link. Doesn't really look too different to me.

Afterwords I had to see how she rode, so we set off in the rain for a little ride along familiar roads. Handling seems better. The steering feels lighter, and I think the suspension is better over bumps. The angle of the bike has changed and  I can see over the windshield once again. When we lowered the bike we didn't know about adjusting the suspension or the front. It certainly effected the handling. I really don't want to mess with the suspension of any future bikes, if I can avoid it. I can't flat-foot the bike now, but it that's ok.

Monday
Today I got a chance to ride the same road again, only this time the pavement was dry. I would say the bike definitely handles better than before. Corners are faster-Cool!

3 comments:

  1. Cool Kari! We lowered my Katana ourselves too. But didn't put it back before the trade. No need to lower the Iron for me! Bike delivery was put off yesterday. We were bummed but it's still snowing here anyway. Maybe today....I'm not going to hold my breath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari:

    that's great. Once you change only ONE thing, it affects so many others.
    It looks like you are getting everything prepared for your ride with Mike, you know, going faster on curves.
    Chicken strips only show that you are a safe driver and only go slow for those photo ops

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eve,
    I was over at your blog earlier, and it looks like the iron has arrived! WooHoo!

    We weren't going to change the links either, but then I got curious about how the bike would handle stock, and it was kind of rainy out, so.... I really like the bike better this way.

    Hi Bobscoot,
    Ah yes, changing things. Bikes, bicycles, and restoring old trucks...it's a slippery slope. You'd think we'd have learned that by now. :)

    You are gracious about the chicken strips. I think cornering will be the least of my worries if I ever get brave enough to ride in the city.

    ReplyDelete