Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Newbie Ride 2010

Last Saturday's ride was a first for me. Ron and I joined tbolt's newbie ride. This was my first time riding with a group or with anyone other than Ron. Before the ride Stacy went over the general instructions for the ride. Then some of the ride leaders shared tips and advice for us newbies that would be helpful on the ride. I wish I could give credit where due, but with all that was going on, I didn't catch too many names. Everyone was very supportive and made this a positive and fun event.
I've been fearful of group riding on motorcycles. From bicycling with a club and riding pacelines I know how fast things can go to pot. And that's just on a bicycle at a measly 15 mph. Bump the speed up to highway speeds, and I was sure destruction would be eminent.  We split into several groups based on speed and experience. We didn't ride in tight formation, but kept a nice cushion of space between riders  leaving plenty of room to maneuver, especially in the corners. So while it was a group ride, we were spread out enough to ride our own ride, adjusting speed and line as suited for the situation. The route was excellent. A nice selection of great scenery, fun and challenging corners, long, smooth roads, and a couple spots with a few bumps to dance over. Lunch and coffee in Monmouth. What more could a rider ask for?
I appreciated having a chance to watch other riders going down the road, and especially seeing them pick their line through the corners. I rarely have the chance to observe other riders. Ron rides behind me when we're together, or if he goes ahead of me, it's to play and I'm not going to keep him in view when he's playing. Having a chance to watch others ride is invaluable.
Awesome ride! Thanks tbolt, Troubadour and Trobairitz, and all the others who gave up their fast pace for a day to ride along with us newbies! More information and photos can be found here.

11 comments:

  1. I am not sure that I would to on a group ride as a newbie, but I certainly appreciated having an experienced rider in front of me on my maiden voyage. You learn just by watching. Ride safely, SonjaM with the yellow Beemer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari:

    it's about time you came out of your shell. Mike's been waiting to ride with you, hopefully soon, not to pressure you but I notice your confidence level improving a lot. Perhaps the Ninja is just easier to control on the corners than the C50.

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is great to have a newbie ride Kari. I'll never forget my first ride. I was on my little 250 Ninja and there were only two other sportbikes there. I jumped in with them and we became fast friends. We rode together after that a number of times and they really helped me learn to ride. Ahhh the memories!! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you and Ron for joining us! We look forward to this ride all year, we love to volunteer and to help out fellow riders. I am so glad you enjoyed the ride and it was a pleasure to finally meet both of you.
    You are more than welcome to join us for a group ride during the year or bike night anytime, everyone rides their own ride, we all respect each other and never push new riders to ride beyond their comfort zone.

    -Brad (aka Bravura)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice newbie ride, Kari. Just like with cycling, the only way to get use to riding in a peloton is to do it and keep doing it. The STP was crazy leaving Seattle. I guess you have to have a certain amount of trust in the people around you but experience is the key.

    If you and Ron are going to the Rally in Redmond, email me if you two don't have a place to stay over there (motorchap@gmail.com).

    I just looked at your profile again. Wow, I didn't know you like Clapton and Fogarty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BlueKat/Kari:

    you have the wrong name. I noticed your photo on Trobaritz's blog I love your PINK riding jacket. I have the matching Crocs. You should be called PinKAT, and Ron should take over BLUEKAT as he had his blue riding jacket on.

    Now I need a photo of you wearing your PINK jacket on your NINJA GREEN bike. What a clash of colours

    IMHO, of course

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sonja
    I agree it's nice following an experienced rider. Congrats again on the cheery yellow beemer!!



    Hi Bob,
    lol - sometimes I like my little shell. I'm looking forward to meeting Mike (and others) for a ride and maybe some photography too. Confidence? no I still think I'm not a good rider. I just love it too much to quit. The Ninja is a pleasure in the corners. Very quick to respond to the lightest input.

    Per the crocs...lol - I like the pink ones too, but I suppose only the green will do. :)




    Hi Eve,
    That's great that you had some other riders to ride with and learn from. It's silly that I've resisted until now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bravura
    It was a treat to meet you guys and go for a ride. Ron and I really enjoyed the day! We hope to get in more rides this summer.




    Hi Mike,
    Yeah, that's pretty much how we did the cycling. (we're more touring cyclist than racers). I bet it was crazy in Seattle. STP - you're more ambitious than I am!

    I don't think we're going to the rally, but plans may be in the works for a get-together outside the rally that I'd like to go to. It seems like a perfect time with lot's of people being in the area.

    I like most any music except country. I even like some 80's stuff, much to the chagrin of my son who has very good taste in music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bob,
    lol - Maybe I should paint the Ninja pink to match!

    Ron just saw this post...he said he won't ride the Ninja if it's pink.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kari,
    Thanks for you both comments today on the blogs. It rained a lot here today too. I worked in Southern Oregon for a couple of days this week and didn't ride because the weather prediction was suppose to be very windy and wet on Wednesday. Well, it didn't turn out to be that bad. Don't you hate it when that happens? My new resolve is to ride everyday no matter what!! The mid 40's are almost gone and warm rain is not bad, right?

    A pink Ninja would be... unique. I agree with Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your welcome! :)
    Isn't that a waste...nice long ride down south and then be stuck in the car! I feel your pain. lol - Warm rain is fine as long as it's not horizontal rain.

    ReplyDelete