Monday, May 3, 2010

Spring Flowers in McDonald Forest

We took the mountain bikes to McDonald Forest a couple weeks ago, and I never processed the photos. The day was more about riding than photography, but I wanted a few shots of any spring flowers I happened to find. I guess I'm lucky to have any photos at all, as I didn't pack an extra battery, so of course, that means the battery I did have decided it needed recharging.  It lasted the day fortunately. The flowers were also uncooperative by blooming either in the windy spots or just out of reach. Only the Iris were nice enough to grow right beside the trail.

The view from Davies Road
F/4.5 • 1/250 • ISO-200
 
Trillium

Fawn Lily - I thought we called them Lamb's tongue, but perhaps I'm confusing them with another flower.
F/4 • 1/125 • ISO-160
Viola
F/4 • 1/125 • ISO-80
Cronemiller lake
F/4 • 1/100 • ISO-80
Oregon Iris conveniently growing beside the trail
F/3.5 • 1/30 • ISO-80
Another view from Davies Road.
We started at Peavy Arboretum north of Corvallis and took road #500 toward Cronemiller Lake. We stayed on 500 up to the intersection with Davies/Nettleton roads. I like to take Davies Rd. to the saddle on Sulpher Springs Road, then return by way of Nettleton Road, but you can reverse the loop if preferred. Before heading back to Peavy Arboretum, we visited Cronemiller lake and took Calloway trail back to the parking area. I'm happy to report that no walkers/hikers passed us on the uphill this time :)

8 comments:

  1. Very nice post, Kari! I'm not familiar with McDonald Forest, it looks great! That first shot is scenic and the yellow Viola is perfect. I really like the composition of the last shot with the bike. Well done!

    P.S.- the word verification was "forsist", which is kind of a cross between forest and insist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike,
    McDonald Forest is a research forest just north of Corvallis. Lots of trails and fire-roads for hiking, biking and horseback riding. I love it because it gets me into the forest where I can build leg and lung strength in a nice setting.

    Some of the verification words are funny, and it's uncanny how some of them match the posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha good for you! Getting passed by a walker while biking would be like getting passed by a Harley while on your NINJA!!!

    hahaha!

    Love the photos Kari! I'm so glad you posted!

    Ok my V word it ainerci
    which is like anarchy, total loss of control if you got passed by hikers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari/BlueKat:

    I am glad to see that OLD age is catching up to you too. I was charging my battery the other day and when it was charged I unplugged it and put it away. Then the next day I went to use the camera and . . . nothing. I opened the batter door and guess what ? NO battery in there. Lucky I carry a spare. When I got home it was still in the charger. I forgot to remove it.

    again, nice photos but unless they grew with names attached I would never know what to call them, other than dandilions

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eve,
    lol - We have been past by hikers on some of the steep uphills! We make up for it on the down hills :))
    We won't talk about the times we, well I get off the bike and push. (shakes head sadly)

    I'm good with Harleys passing the Ninja. It only hurts when Grandma in a minivan passes me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bob,
    While the old age is catching up (in oh so many ways!), forgetfulness has always plagued me. I'm glad you had your spare. My brother in law did the same thing. We went for a long drive and a little hike before he realized his battery was home still being charged. He even brought his tripod, lol

    I have to confess I cheat on the flowers. I don't know very many. I don't even know all the ones planted in my yard. I look up the mysterious ones on a website.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can think of is,

    "What, no motors on the bikes? What were they thinking?"

    You people are animals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Motors! We don't need no stinkin' motors! Well...sometimes we need a motor.

    We did this ride last year with our 20-something nephew and his future wife. They were climbing the steep parts, popping wheelies, running each other off the road, talking and laughing. Who has any breath left to talk and laugh!?! All the rest of us "older" folks were huffing, puffing and coughing up lungs. It was fun! Really!

    ReplyDelete