Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rhododendron

 f/5.6 • 1/250 sec • ISO-100
Rhododendron or azalea? I had to google it, since my definition is Rhododendrons have big leaves and azaleas have little leaves. Not exactly scientific. It turns out that all azaleas are Rhododendrons, but not all Rhododendrons are azaleas. Therefore I'll call it a Rhododendron and that covers everything. By the way, Rhododendron is hard to type!I don't want to type it anymore.

I processed this from the raw file. I don't really know what I'm doing in camera raw, so for now I'm winging it. In photoshop I converted to lab color and adjusted curves. The tutorial for curves/lab is here. I'm quite sure I went looking for some other tutorial and got sucked into this one instead. I wouldn't go looking for lab color on my own initiative. What can I say, it was interesting and different. I'm not yet sure what the advantages are. This was one of my first forays into lab color. I'm also trying to tone down my heavy-handed sharpening. There you have it...my Rhododendron. See, I had to type it again. I'm quite done now.

Huh, look at that...Blogger has been updating. It has a new, improved, preview mode. Strange. I don't know what I think of it yet. Ok. I'm quite done this time...really!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Kari, very interesting and informative post! I didn't know azaleas are rhododendrons (but your photo looks like a true rhody). And thanks for the link to the tutorial. One can never get enough PS tutorials!

    Your photo looks great! I like the soft colors and the varying shades. It really goes well next to your header photo too!

    I noticed the new blogger preview and template features last night too. I wasn't up as late as you though - you're a night owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike,
    Glad you enjoyed the tutorial. Thursday is my Friday, so I tend to stay up later than I should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the memories of working with curves!! and RAW....I only use RAW now if I have to, the files are SO big!
    However your picture looks beautiful and I sure wish I had a Rodonendron here. I met a lady with a home nursery who has hundreds of them in her woods and one the size of a bus in her yard!
    I got sucked into the new template by accident but after I figured it out I accepted it and moved on with life!! hahaha!
    Keep up the great work girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eve,
    I'm still trying to figure out the advantages of raw. File size is definitely not one of them. Funny, they make a bigger computer then software and files grows bigger, so we end up in the same fix!

    I really like rhodies too. My mom has always had a bunch in her yard. I seem to kill or stunt all the ones I have.

    ReplyDelete