Saturday, June 26, 2010

Some Oil, An Ocean, And a couple of Crocs

Life has been a whirlwind lately. No, not a reference to funnel clouds spotted around the valley of late. Just busy. We have extended family in town this week, some that we haven't seen in years. Our cousin Cheryl from Kansas wants to see the ocean. She'd seen it once years ago, but doesn't really remember it. So a family caravan to the coast is the plan for the day. But first the bikes need some maintenance.
We have the parts...

And we have my morning brew...

Giselle is first...and she makes a puddle on the floor. I've been told this is marking her territory. I guess she is the alpha-bike of the garage.

Sam is next. Do I look like I know what I'm doing? Ha! I don't even know how to use the tools. Ron talks me through everything....and loosens all the tough stuff.

Don't forget the oil!

The girls are ready and off we go to Albany. While waiting to meet up with everyone at Costco parking lot, I find a nice car to match the bike. Don't tell Sam but the Camaro would look really good in black!
 Four of us will be riding. Our nephew, Jason and his new bride, Julie will be riding as well as Ron and I. I'm not sure how, but I end up being elected ride leader. I don't want to be leader! I hate being leader!! I will gripe and whine to Ron at least once over the chatterbox.  Perhaps that explains my disconnected push-to-talk button on the return home.
First stop will be lunch at Izzy's in Newport.

I feel like we're being watched...

This little guy was quite the charmer. I took his picture. He disappeared only to return with his own camera! Oh this one will be trouble...big brown eyes, and a wicked sense of humor!
After lunch we make our way to South Beach. What a perfectly glorious day at the coast. It's warm; The  breeze is gentle; And there is blue in the sky. A few choose to lounge in the warm sand while the rest of us take a walk to the jetty. 
The return trip is just as nice. Ron swaps bikes with Jason with Julie for the ride home. Traffic is steady, but not too bad. We eventually catch up to Ron's dad, who had a head start and who we really don't want to follow. I hate passing , but I just can't keep riding at 54 mph, so I pass then wait for the others. It takes a bit for them to get around. 

Maybe I shouldn't have passed...

Maybe they're not going to pass...then they do.

I'll find out later that they loved passing  dad/grandpa. Our aunt and uncle were waving and smiling. Dad was all eyes on the road. I didn't consider it at the time, but Jason's mom was in the car. I hope I don't get in trouble for setting a poor example for my nephew.

When Ron and I arrive home we find a surprise on the porch. Santa FedEx has left a package.

At least one person might be happy to see these...
I can't believe I bought green shoes.
Cheryl enjoyed seeing the ocean :)

12 comments:

  1. Very nice post Kari. It's a fun read from the visiting family, the oil change, the trip to the coast and the green crocs. The green crocs photo will probably be a classic - a perfect match. Bob will be a happy man.

    I missed you in Newport by about a day. I just did a road trip to Roseburg then over to Coos Bay and up the coast. I went through Newport about 5pm Thursday. I really like your shots at the coast, especially the last one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Love the ninja crocs...was it Bob that will be laughing???
    Fun ride and I love passing!!!!
    That camaro is just the right color!!! hahaha.
    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari, It looks like you guys had a great time. Aren't all times spent with people you love or riding your bike or walking the beach great times? And you had it all at once!

    So Bob got to you, too? Congrats to the Ninja Crocs and welcome to the club ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,
    I hope you had as nice a day at the coast as we did. I've rarely had it so nice there. Your route sounds like a nice one.

    I'm not sure I'm brave enough to wear green crocs in public They're so ... Green! Ron said they glow in the dark. I think Bob needs to paint his bike to match his crocs. Then all would be right with the world.
    Thanks :)



    Hi Eve,
    Yes Bob seems to be the one who started this whole croc thing. The thing is...they're really comfy to wear!
    Thanks


    Hi Sonja
    Yes, that's true. It is nice, and not often is the day so full. I'm not sure what I've got myself into with green crocs...comfy, but they sure do glow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kari:

    Right now I have a very wide GRIN. I'm smiling and chuckling at the same time. That Ninja green looks fabulous and it nearly matches your bike. You just need a Ninja Green Jacket, Ninja Green Pants, Ninja green helmet.

    At least I will be able to recognize you in a few weeks. Did you Get Ron a pair of Ninja Green Crocs too ?

    It doesn't seem that I am winning with PINK but you are halfway there. It's a start . . .

    nearly forgot, it looked like you had a wonderful day with friends at the ocean. You sure are a speed demon, passing everyone in sight. Your group could hardly keep up

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bobskoot
    I thought you might get a chuckle out of it! :))
    I think I have enough green for now...a little bit goes a long way!

    No crocs for Ron although, surprisingly he did try some on (brown or black or some such sedate color).

    Yeah, those other riders...so slow...really put a damper on my speedy ways! Ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kari:

    you've come a long way since your cruiser. From hardly ever leaning into a corner, to being a speed demon.

    You're probably noticing how everyone else goes so slowly

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bobskoot
    Hmmm...I have been passing more lately...lol
    I bet if I wear the green crocs, I'll run faster too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helloooo...oh....you ride a beautiful bike! Someday, someday...maybe that will be me, too.
    I live vicariously through Eve, you know...now I have someone *much* closer to me (you) whose adventures I can watch.
    (Thank you for your kind comment on my blog) :-) -danni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Danni and thanks :)
    We always planned to have a bike again, but I never thought I'd actually ride my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interestingly, the one photo of you with your hands under Sam reminds me of milking a cow. Must be due to my being an old farm boy.

    Not you, too? These crocs are like a slowly spreading virus. :)

    Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Irondad,

    lol - I see what you mean! I never had to milk a cow! Bottle fed a lot of calves and lambs, just so you know I wasn't a complete washout as a farm kid.

    So crocs...what color are you getting? ;)

    ReplyDelete