Tuesday, July 20, 2010

International Moto-Bloggers Conference 2010

It’s kind of hard to post up an event that was shared by all. I can’t embellish (or outright lie). I can’t claim to have flown over the pass at full throttle, alternating wheelies with peg dragging, so I’d best stick to the truth… It was a spectacularly fun weekend.
Bolty (Stacy), Stacey, Troubadour and Trobairitz (Brad and Brandy), Rick and Andy rode in from Corvallis and met Ron and I at Walmart. We headed out via backroads around Sweet Home then on to the Santiam pass. The pass was wonderfully lacking in cars, so we had the road mostly to ourselves until we passed the junction with highways 22 and 126.  I can rack up a lot of miles with my commute, but they’re the same miles over and over again. How refreshing to ride a new road in my favorite place (forest and mountain). Stacy led us around Sisters via backroads then back to the highway to Bend.
We stopped at Bend Inn for some riders to get their rooms and to meet with other riders already in Bend. Conchscooter (Michael) and his Wife, Layne were here from Florida, as well as Richard from Alaska. Bobskoot and Sonja showed up shortly thereafter.
Those of us who hadn’t eaten followed Stacy to a little pizza place for lunch/dinner. Afterwords we strolled around the old mill district when Bob received a text that Irondad (Dan) was in town. Dan had the only room with a sitting area, so we invaded his place for the evening.
I have to say - what a great group of people. It was so good to meet everyone in real life and  to get to know one another a little better. Meeting new people is way out of my comfort zone, but I’d say we had a camaraderie that made it feel like a get together with old friends. We chatted away the evening, then a few of us went for a late supper before turning in for the night. 

Breakfast wasn’t until 10:00 am the next morning, so Ron and I strolled to downtown Bend and Drake Park to kill some time and work up an appetite. It was a nice walk with some interesting architecture and nice scenery. Too bad I wasn’t paying attention to the camera. The ISO was set high and most of the pics are blown out and grainy.
Breakfast was at Black Bear Diner. Stacy and Stacey were heading south, and Irondad had left earlier to meet with a friend who lives in the area. Bob and Sonja joined Brad, Brandy, Ron and I for the trip back across the mountains. Outside of Bend we passed by an accident scene involving motorcycles…never a good thing. We skirted our way around Sisters which looked to be a madhouse of tourists and traffic. We stopped at a viewpoint for a break and some photos. It’s funny that all of us from the area had never bothered to stop here before. 
Returning to the Willamette Valley brought cooler weather, perfect for a ride. We stopped at Walgreens where Ron and I would take our leave of the group. We finally got that croc shot that we missed earlier. 
My apologies if I messed up any names or missed anyone. It's hard enough to remember one set of names...double trouble when most of us have two...or three even. As is often the case I return home and find myself wishing I'd taken more photos. I should have just handed the camera over to Ron, who has no reservations about getting people to pose for a photo op.

Once again many thanks to everyone who helped to bring this event together!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you both had a good time! We absolutely have to make this a regular event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recap. I second Stacy's comment, and I hope I can be there. Your 'backyard' has certainly a lot to offer. It was great to get all those crocs together ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacy,
    Oh yeah most definitely we need to do this again. Looking forward to it!


    Hi Sonja
    I hope you're there as well. The weekend seem to fly by too fast.

    ReplyDelete