Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Summer Commute

My commute has been a little boring lately. No rain, no hail, no tornado breezing through.
Today I had an early errand and I actually snapped a picture of Sam somewhere besides in the garage. The not very glamorous life of a commuter bike.
I love Jacob Conser bridge. Oregon has some pretty nice bridges I think. This one was designed by Conde B. McCullough.
Another corner that likes to challenge me. I swear it looks sharper and steeper than this in real life. Lately the challenges have been cars crossing the line and deer lounging at the top. And rocks, but that's a different story and a different corner.
They are not kidding. Mrs Bambi was here this morning, peering back over her shoulder, looking for her buddies across the road.
I'm taking the long way home lately. It’s my co-worker, Randy’s  favorite ride. Parrish Gap Road is a nice change from my regular route with short hills and 20-40 mph curves. The curves and hills tend to happen at the same place.  You can apex and summit all at the same time. Almost sounds naughty. 
At the top of this hill is another corner. I think there is only one hill on this road that doesn't have a curve.
I have it on good authority that there is a herd of elk in the area. When the air is clear there are nice views of Mt. Jefferson to be had, when you’re not dodging the elk. No mountain views today, just thunderheads.

7 comments:

  1. Love seeing you ride Kari...both Sam and the road! Deer are always something to think about. Rabbits are scary enough!!
    I got to ride the Iron yesterday and will again today. I was thinking of you on the way home when I got sprinkled on! It acutally felt good...but I sure was glad it was only a sprinkle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari:

    what a nice commute you have. Unlike mine which winds through our urban mess. traffic, stop lights and not a twistie in sight. Only 15 miles but takes 45 minutes. Want to trade ?

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boring commute? Be careful what you wish for!
    I love Parrish Gap. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eve,
    Rabbits! Hadn't even thought of those. I'm sorry you had rain, good that you got to ride though! :)

    Hi Bobskoot,
    I think I'll keep mine, thank you. :)
    I admire your urban skills!

    Hi Stacy
    Battle Creek Road outside of Salem. It's only tricky for me of sucky cornering skills. Combine it with Parrish Gap Rd and you have a nice little ride.

    Thanks Irondad,
    lol, yes tempting the fates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice commute, I have just the opposite, city streets and traffic jams... good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sonja,
    I don't think I have the patience and fortitude for city traffic. You guys who take on the city traffic have my admiration!

    ReplyDelete