Sigma 8-16mm
I had an opportunity to borrow a Sigma 8-16mm wide angle lens. Actually, I've barely had an opportunity to snap some photos. Between bad weather and early sunsets photography is mostly confined to weekends. I spent a lot of time looking through the viewfinder, stepping closer, looking...step even closer. I didn't bother with composition or exposure (obviously!), I just wanted to see what the lens could do.
I don't know how to use a wide angle to best advantage, to play up the particular quirks or use the distortions to add to the image. This is new territory for me. I like the illusion of depth created with a wide angle. Looking at my pics on the computer, it's there. Maybe not played to best advantage, but I see it, and I can learn to exploit it.
I'm not sure what works and what doesn't, but it's fun to experiment. All those lovely lines leading out of the shot...
I took several sets of images at 8, 10, and 16 mm. There's a possibility I may choose a different lens, and 10mm is the next closest length available. I think I could be happy with either an 8mm or a 10mm.
16mm is nice setting for scenery.
Did you know they can drive emergency vehicles over these bridges? I didn't see one this day.
This was a surprising image. It was dark under the bridge, and the shutter speed slow. I figured it would be blurry, but it came out brighter, and sharper than I expected. I sort of understand the relationship between focal length and shutter speed, I've just never experienced it. Now that I have, it will stick with me.
I took this one just because I liked leaves and the reflections.
One from the mall. I went to look at tripods, but of course I had to take a peek at the D7000. The kid behind the counter also wanted to check out the Sigma. His next paycheck (or two) are going toward a D7000. We traded cameras and checked out lenses and bodies. No pics at the camera store, but I snapped one or two in the mall. I hope the rain quits long enough to get out with the camera again, before I have to give the Sigma back.
I don't know how to use a wide angle to best advantage, to play up the particular quirks or use the distortions to add to the image. This is new territory for me. I like the illusion of depth created with a wide angle. Looking at my pics on the computer, it's there. Maybe not played to best advantage, but I see it, and I can learn to exploit it.
I'm not sure what works and what doesn't, but it's fun to experiment. All those lovely lines leading out of the shot...
I took several sets of images at 8, 10, and 16 mm. There's a possibility I may choose a different lens, and 10mm is the next closest length available. I think I could be happy with either an 8mm or a 10mm.
16mm is nice setting for scenery.
Did you know they can drive emergency vehicles over these bridges? I didn't see one this day.
This was a surprising image. It was dark under the bridge, and the shutter speed slow. I figured it would be blurry, but it came out brighter, and sharper than I expected. I sort of understand the relationship between focal length and shutter speed, I've just never experienced it. Now that I have, it will stick with me.
I took this one just because I liked leaves and the reflections.
One from the mall. I went to look at tripods, but of course I had to take a peek at the D7000. The kid behind the counter also wanted to check out the Sigma. His next paycheck (or two) are going toward a D7000. We traded cameras and checked out lenses and bodies. No pics at the camera store, but I snapped one or two in the mall. I hope the rain quits long enough to get out with the camera again, before I have to give the Sigma back.





Nice series of wide angle shots! That is one nice lens. Sigma makes good quality.
ReplyDeleteI really like the first two shots with all that is captured in each. The perspective is very nice in the first one and the spiral stairs in the second one are right-on. I think that's the key with wide angle lenses - get the stuff in the immediate foreground as well as beyond. It just give a bigness that other lenses can't capture.
I'll have to tell Santa about this lens!
Just found you through Scott's blog and I'm so glad I did! I've just spent some time looking through your lovely images. You are very talented and I love your work!!!! It's always inspiring to see what inspires fellow photographers, and I really enjoy when someone photographs a variety of subjects....like I do. I am now 'following' you and will be back to visit again soon, and I hope you will visit me too!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mike,
ReplyDeleteI tried to talk my BIL into giving me the lens for Christmas...a nice gift for the favorite SIL, but he would have none of that!
It's an interesting and fun lens. I've looks at several different wide angles, but that 8mm is definitely calling to me. :)
Hi Karen and thank you,
ReplyDeleteI will be sure to stop by for a visit. I love to find new blogs and new photos to view. Thanks for stopping by. :)
ooh -nice toy! Cool shots - can't wait to see more!
ReplyDeleteHi Stacey,
ReplyDeleteYeah it's been fun, but I have to give it back soon. :(
You had a lot of fun with it! And your results are excellent. I especially like the shots that include the leaves. I've never used such a lens, but I think it would be fun to experiment like you did. Thanks for stopping by...
ReplyDeleteThanks Linnea,
ReplyDeleteI still haven't returned the lens. I'm beginning to feel a little guilty.