Old Mill HDR
I've given up on me. I've been waiting to try some HDR processing until after I went and shot some images. I was going to do it right, and shoot several exposures to combine. Nevermind, I'll just grab an older raw image and cheat.
HDR in all it's haloed glory. Like saturation and unsharp mask, some types of processing just beg me to run rough shod over photographic sensibility, and take a walk on the wild side. During the process I toyed with all sorts of options from mild to wild. This one pleases me. It was the effect I wanted for this image, slightly exaggerated with a few halos thrown in for good measure.
For many scenes, I prefer hand blending with layers and masks. I can get a subtler, more controlled result. I know HDR can be subtle, I just haven't mastered it to that point yet. Besides, I'm still playing with the flashy, outrageous stuff. Get that out of my system then I'll settle down. :)
Here's the jpg image, untouched from the camera. The HDR was processed from the accompanying raw file. I shot this image sometime in 2009. The building has since been demolished, and more of the old mill disappears every day.
![]() |
| Champion Mill, Lebanon Oregon |
For many scenes, I prefer hand blending with layers and masks. I can get a subtler, more controlled result. I know HDR can be subtle, I just haven't mastered it to that point yet. Besides, I'm still playing with the flashy, outrageous stuff. Get that out of my system then I'll settle down. :)
Here's the jpg image, untouched from the camera. The HDR was processed from the accompanying raw file. I shot this image sometime in 2009. The building has since been demolished, and more of the old mill disappears every day.

Wow, that is a really big differance. I've never ventured into that uncharted territory of HDR. Like, I don't even understand layers. Maybe someday I'll try when I have hours on hand to burn.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! My oldest son does a lot with HDR and raw. He's got some gorgeous shots, too. Frankly and honestly, though, you both sound like you're speaking a foreign language when you talk about it, but I love the results. :-)
ReplyDeleteControlling the halos is a major problem but I love HDR when it's well done. I even like it when the colors are exaggerated, it's gives the impression of a painting. I like this one, did you have just one RAW or you had the minimum of 3?
ReplyDeleteHi John
ReplyDeleteOther than a dabble here and there, I've put off trying HDR. It was more new software to learn, which is something I always dread. Once I got started though it wasn't too bad. :)
Hi Danni,
ReplyDeletelol - sorry about the "foreign language". Outside of familiar programs, computers are a complete mystery to me. That's awesome that your son is into photography. I've always loved art and photography, and I love seeing what kids come up with. Each generation seems to bring their own fresh perspective on all things creative.
Hi George,
ReplyDeleteThanks, I just had one raw file. From that I created 5 images set at different exposures that I used for the HDR. I want to give it a try with multiple raw images as well. I just need to get out and shoot some pictures.
I really like that HDR shot. When first clicking on your blog it really is an attention getter. It almost looks 3-D. It really enhances the original shot. I've not messed with HDR but it looks like fun.
ReplyDeleteHave a Happy Mother's Day!
Hi Mike,
ReplyDeleteIt is kind of fun. You can get some interesting results at times. Thanks
Kari:
ReplyDeleteprocessing for the screen is different than for print. Just bring down the halos a bit and do a print. You would be amazed at the colours that snap out at you. Otherwise turn it into a painting . Overcooked or not, that first image really shouts out
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
Sometimes its just fun to let those 'creative juices' flow and see what happens. Working with HDR is perfect for that because one can end up with so many different looks. And the great thing is there is no right or wrong result. Beauty is in the eye of the artist!!
ReplyDeleteHi Karen,
ReplyDeleteI agree. Sometimes you just need to forget the rules and play. Maybe it works, maybe not, but you never know til you try. :)