Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Happy Birthday Mark Twain

Happy Birthday Mark Twain
November 30th as you already know if you google (and who doesn't?).
Mark Twain is one of my favorite writers, not that I've read that many of his books. More than his stories it was his biography and his essays that I really enjoyed.

I don't want to give you the idea that I'm some sort of literary type. I also love cheesy horror stories from the likes of Dean Koontz and Stephen King, and I grew up on a steady diet of MAD magazines. 
For reference my favorite author is JRR Tolkien.

Enough of books, I have eeked out a puny little post thanks to a lovely commute home this evening. The view off my right shoulder:
Ugly freeway, lovely sky
I'm picky about where I stop when riding solo, so the settings are less than ideal - wherever there was a good shoulder to pull off. This was a few minutes after leaving work. Ugly freeway but the sky looks promising.
A few miles later: busy roads and fabulous color.
 
One more before turning east towards home. Mary's Peak in the coast range. Troubadour and Trobairitz can fill you in on the great road to the top of the peak. Color is fading and so is the light.
Mary's Peak at Sunset
I managed to catch a little of Sam in the second photo. Okay just the bug smeared windscreen. I'm too toasty in the heated jacket to get off the bike for a Sam-glam shot. Some photographers risk dangerous situations,  horrendous weather, and cold for the perfect photo. I'm not one of those photographers! :)

Cheers!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, wow and wow!!! What incredible shots! That's the most amazing sunset - good for the soul.

    I have daily quotations pop up on my desktop and Mark Twain's are among the best. Still highly appropriate even now.

    I used to buy MAD as a teenager and still read a bit of Stephen King. Don't worry, we're the normal ones ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images! The colors are wonderful. So when is your coffee table book of your photos coming out?

    I don't ever remember actually ever buying Mad magazine. There were always copies laying around at friends and relatives homes to get my fix.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the great things about riding a motorbike is the ability to stop just about anywhere to grab a photo of something you have seen. Nice pictures! I used to love Mad magazine – the first thing I used to turn to was the fold-in inside the rear cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful!

    Often when you see colors like that, they only seem to hang around for too few fleeting moments. You just HAVE to stop or they'll slip through your fingers. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new blog template.

    Believe your reading tastes are called "eclectic".

    You pulled off onto the freeway shoulder for photos? That classifies you as brave to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you got some shots of the sunset yesterday. I didn't have a camera with me on my drive home and missed it.

    Beautiful pictures and I like the background photo too. Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bluekat:

    it's been raining cats for the past couple of days, perhaps tonight there will be a sunset. A dangerous place to stop is never worth a photo

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from the land of Twain!

    I suppose we have sunsets here everyday. I wouldn't know. It is dark by the time I leave work. Therefore, thank you for reminding me that there are still sunsets Monday through Friday and not just on the weekends. And, what an incredible sunset you caught. I second Gary's comment about one of the wonders of riding is how easy it is to stop and take a photo.

    Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures, sometimes all you can do is stop in awe (and take a picture while the moment lasts). Stephen King, Mark Twain... both my kind of reading stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Geoff,
    Good to know we're normal! :)

    Thanks Richard,
    I'll keep ya posted on the book! ;)

    Hi Gary,
    That's what I thought about motorbikes and photography...a great combo. My problem is I'm afraid to pull over anywhere the conditions aren't perfect. I passed a bunch of gravel pullouts looking for something paved.

    I think the folding cover was the first thing many of us had to check out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Fuzzy,
    lol - I agree. I kept hoping the color would last until the next pullover. That sunset put on a nice show and lasted for much of my ride. Tonight started with a little hint of color, but it fizzled into a pretty blah showing. Oh well, at least the roads were dry! :)



    Thanks Irondad
    Hope you're real fond of the template. Blogger let me upload one photo before deciding to reject all others. I may be stuck with this one forever.

    No worries, I was on Enchanted Way at the an overpass, not on the freeway. :)



    Thanks Dom,
    Colorful skies were a nice change from the usual grey, grey, and more grey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Trobairitz,
    I wondered if any others caught a glimpse of the show. Definitely a treat!



    Hi Bob,
    We've had tons of rain as well. Now we have a long stretch of dry. Unusual for this time of year. Agreed on stopping for photos. If I'm solo I won't venture onto gravel or anything with unsure footing.



    Hi Keith,
    Yes, the sun is still out there (somewhere) even on a work day. :)
    I have a little bit of sun morning and evening. Well, mostly I have fog and clouds. ;)



    Thanks Sonja,
    Usually I just make a quick stop to snap a photo, but in this case I had to sit a few moments and just enjoy the view. (Kept the bike running and the jacket turned on though.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful sky, you just have to stop and take the shots when this opportunity presents itself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing pictures! You are an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks George,
    Thanks Ken,

    After work I usually just want to get home, but that night I just had to stop. Too good to pass up. :)

    ReplyDelete