Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sunday in the Trees

Sunday started with the traditional search for the sacrificial Christmas tree. A quick trip to North Albany and we bagged our tree. With the tree hauled to the house, we dumped a bunch of water into it's stand, ate a quick lunch, and loaded the bikes on the car.
Merry Christmas!
We opted to start at the Lewisburg saddle and ride the Davies/Nettleton Loop, 6.35 miles and only 800 feet of climbing. It's an easy loop with a few views if the fog cooperates.
McDonald Forest. Look familiar?
I think I take the same pictures at the same locations. I simply can't resist.
Oh wait...Ron took this one.
 
One of my favorite viewpoints
I had read online that there was a small pond along the route. All the times we've ridden this ride and I never knew it was there. Tucked into a quarry, and sheltered from sunshine there was a light scum of ice on top. Not particularly scenic, but fun to discover. Apparently it's a happening place in summer for dogs cooling off after the hike.
We had a little bit of daylight left and decided to explore some new routes. We drove past several trail heads but at the 100 Road in Dunn Forest we had to stop.
There is just a little light left, and the trail, unlike most others, is relatively flat to start. It seems a worthwhile effort to get the bikes down from the car and go on a little explore before sunset.
Great light
At an intersection, a road up to a small ridge seemed appealing. It's steep enough that my tire eventually spins out. We leave the bikes and hike up the rest of the way. I don't like fast descents, so why bother to walk them up. At the top of the ridge the road levels out and there is a nice view to the north east.
The view from the top
 Later research will tell me that there is some single track at the end of this road. We will definitely be back to explore more!

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a really beautiful place to explore, and makes me wish I owned a bicycle for my time in Germany - there are so many strange little places to explore here. I hope you get back to explore your track, looks worth your time.

    Brady
    Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of bikes in their natural, resting state (least potential energy). Beautiful photos especially the one right around sunset with the caption "Great light".

    We don't have Christmas trees that look that good around here. What tool are you using to add the copyright?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos Bluekat. You sure have a knack for photography. Almost makes me want to trade my beach cruiser for a mountain bike. Almost not quite.

    We'll miss you in Seattle this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brady,
    It's a fun place to explore. There are roads and trails, both official ones, and the "secret" unofficial ones. I think we've been on about 2% of what's available.

    From what I hear, Germany (and most of Europe) is a great place to bicycle. or perhaps scooter...if motorized power is preferred. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Richard,
    lol - bicycle resting state. Sometimes the riders look the same!

    The only way I know how to add a copyright is by adding it as a layer in photoshop. I think there must be an easier way, but I don't what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Trobairitz,
    There is a better solution...dirt bike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures! What a great way to end a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, you are getting professional with your photography, eh? The copyright stamp is way cool. The second to last one looks like a painting. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BlueKat:

    I notice you are using "fill" flash. Looks like a nice trail but I need to add an electric motor to my Mountain Bike. The propulsion system I am using is very old and produces very low power.

    I wish you would have just jumped into the back seat of the Subaru

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  10. As far as the copyright, do you use Lightroom or Aperture? I suspect that a copyright could be added on export with either. I use Aperture mostly for color correction and I noticed that it is an export option.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Dar, Sonja, and Ken!

    @Bobskoot
    Most of my photos on the trail are just the camera set to auto. Occasionally I experiment with other things :)

    Like I mentioned to Trobairitz...there is another option - dirtbike! :)

    Wish we could have been there too, but too much going on right now, and Ron had to work this weekend. Have a good time!


    @Richard
    I use photoshop. It's all I know, but I think other software have similar features. In PS I have a .psd file saved with the copyright. I cut and paste it into my photo as a separate layer and adjust it to suit. I save the image as a .tif file which also contains my other edits to the photo. then I save a JPG copy for the web. Hopefully that makes sense :) I'm still betting there is an easier way, I just don't know what it is.

    I've added copyrights before, then got tired of it and quit. A recent conversation at work inspired me to start again. We'll see if I keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Beautiful tree and gorgeous pictures on the trail. Is that pond only for the dogs to cool off in? Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear BlueKat:

    I'm so sorry I am so far behind in getting to a lot of different blog sites, and in communicating. The past year was one of setback and reverses for me... And I sort of got lost in the shuffle. These pictures of your Christmas tree expedition were terrific. I love the deep woods you traversed... But the bicycle is no longer for me.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack/Reep
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lori
    Thanks. Actually if you could see it up close, it was kind of scummy! I don't think you'd want to go for a dip! There is another, nicer pond in the forest...alas posted no swimming. It looks very inviting in summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jack,
    Not a problem. I have fallen behind lately and am playing catch up myself. Always nice to see a comment or post from you. :) I know it's been a rough year. Here's hoping for brighter days in 2012.

    As for the deep woods, there are plenty of wonderful, smooth, curvy paved roads that go through the forest. Only us masochists are silly enough to go by bicycle!

    ReplyDelete