Thursday, February 2, 2012

29/29 - TWO: LeBreton Cottage

LeBreton Hall
 "The Fairview Training Center was a state-run facility for people with developmental disabilities in Salem, Oregon, United States. Fairview was established in 1907 as the State Institution for the Feeble-Minded. The hospital opened on December 1, 1908 with 39 patients transferred from the Oregon State Insane Asylum. Before its closure in 2000, Fairview was administered by the Oregon Department of Human Services."
--Wikipedia

One of the remaining buildings of the Fairview Training Center complex. The grounds are not far from my commute, and makes a nice, curvy detour on my way to work. There are a few disturbing stories of abuse of some residents there, and frankly it's a little creepy riding along the road. Probably just my flighty imagination, but there are rumors of tortured souls and hauntings after all.

Two things of note for me. One, I had a distant cousin who was a resident there. I don't know what became of him after it closed. And two, I visited the place back in the late 70's as part of a psychology class field trip. It was both sad and amazing. Many of the residents were severely disabled.

A few other pics from another day...

8 comments:

  1. Neat looking hall, but what a sad history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cool old building. The whole compound is pretty big, with a lot of buildings. Some are rather strange. I don't know what they're ever going to do with the place.

      Delete
  2. indeed that is a sad history.

    Is that a place that people unofficially "explore" now that it is closed? Hospitals and institutional buildings often leave a of interesting things behind. Might be an interesting night time photo spot. With your hubby to protect you from zombies and other undead creepers, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been some unofficial exploring and photography going on there. A number of photos show up on Flickr, but I've heard it's closely watched and they are pretty tough on trespassers. I would love to go for an explore, but I'm not brave enough to face down security!

      Delete
  3. Trobairitz:

    don't do it. One of those souls may follow you home, then what ? they may like it there and never leave

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's how it feels to ride through the area. One morning I passed a jogger and when I looked back...he was gone! Vanished!!

      Delete
  4. Why do these facilities never look inviting and homey? Poor souls, I hope they found a new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect places like this were never high on the funding list, hence the rather austere and neglected look. Though, possibly things looked better in the past. LeBeton looks like it could be fixed up nice, but most of the buildings are just plain ugly.

      I've often wondered what happened to the residents too.

      Delete