Is this like the first clear and cloudless day I've ridden this year? I think it is. Saturday starts out a little grey, but by the time we make it to the gravel patch over Logsden Road the sky will turn to brilliant blue.
 |
| Saturday morning in Corvallis |
 |
| Mary Ellen and Ron on Wren Hill |
The Saturday riders joined us as far as Blodgett then returned to Corvallis while the rest of the group carried on to Newport.
 |
| Group photo at Blodgett |
 |
| Going to Summit |
 |
| Summit |
Great ride up to Summit. It's been a couple years for me, and I don't recall having nice smooth road before. Flew down Summit hill feeling more like a motorcyclist than bicyclist. It didn't take long to reach the dreaded gravel.
Ron and I wanted to ride over, mostly to see how we did compared with past rides. We're happy to say we did quite well for us. I stopped once for a break on the way up, but we rode the whole thing. It was a first. Skinny tires were a little dicey in the loose gravel.
I didn't take a lot of pics. I didn't have time if I wanted to keep up! :) But we did get a few scenery pics here and there. Lunch at
Logsden Store. We love to see this place come into view. Again, no food pics, cuz food disappeared as quickly as we could get our hands on it. Refueled and ready to take on the dreaded Siletz Highway.
Once we got past Toledo I felt like I could relax a bit and snap a few pics. It was windy along the bay, but not too bad and not cold like it can often be at the coast.
 |
| Along Yaquina Bay Road |
The real reason for the ride.
 |
| Rogue Brewery |
Some stayed at the house, and some of us opted for a motel, but we all met at the house for a great dinner of Ravioli and Meatballs, along with a fantastic salad, and a birthday cake for Dennis - 66! Happy Birthday!! Thanks for the great dinner Mary Ellen!
 |
| hanging out at the house |
The plan for Sunday was to meet on the bay front at 8:00 to begin our journey back to Corvallis. Ron and I had a foggy ride over the bay bridge, and the fog hung with us until about Toledo.
 |
| John and Shirley, Yaquina Bay Road in the fog |
We returned by the same route with lunch at Logsden, then on to a relaxing ride along Logsden Road. Even the fast riders seemed to be taking it easy for a while.
The last photo of the trip. The cool old trestle we ride under. We happened to stop for a rest, so I snapped a quick pic. Of course right when we were climbing up under the trestle on the sharp curve we had a car behind us debating when to pass and a string of sport bikes in the opposite lane zipping down the road. All worked out well and everyone safely negotiated the curve.
All that's left is a quick run from Summit to Blodgett. Funny thing is I always forget all the climbs between Summit and Blodgett. They didn't seem that big yesterday! And I don't remember them from years past. Somehow they have grown over night, and they are quite demoralizing. I now recall why I wanted to throw my bike over steep bank. Blodgett finally comes into sight. Ice cream awaits. Only two big hills to ride and we're back in Corvallis. This was our best coast ride so far. Woot!
Flickr Photos140.06 Total miles
11:51 tm
11.80 av
34.04 mx
Comments
Post a Comment