Old McKenzie Highway 2012

In 2004 I rode the old McKenzie (242) highway for the first time.
DSCF1142
Old McKenzie Highway 2004.  That's me in the back with the green and purple jacket. Other riders: Marlene, Tim, and Wanda.
I didn't ride it again until this year.
Old McKenzie Highway
Leaving Sisters
No, it wasn't because it's so horrible that I never wanted to drag my sorry butt up there again, but rather the opportunity just never presented itself at a time when I could give it another go.
Old McKenzie Highway
Mary Ellen, who has no trouble climbing up anything!
In 2004 I was still a new rider with a very limited fitness base and a lot of extra weight. I remember climbing at 2 1/2 to 3 mph, and it was painful. Thighs burning much!?

Fast forward to 2012, and it was a much easier ride. I love being able to compare the differences. I don't think my speed dropped below 5 mph, and much of the time I was even faster. Yes, that's not fast and I was past by many faster riders, but I had no trouble keeping up with most of our group when I didn't stop for pictures.
Old McKenzie Highway
At the gate. Maurice, Barbi, Adrienne, Tom, Ron, Dennis, Kari, Mary Ellen
Old McKenzie Highway
Dennis coming up on Windy Point
Old McKenzie Highway
Hiding from the wind
I had one mysterious little bonk moment. It took me by surprise because I had been feeling great, climbing and catching up to Ron. Ron stopped so I decided to pull over as well but as soon as I was off the bike I was nauseous and weak. I had to sit down. I didn't dare eat any trail mix, but I did get down a couple of stingers and a gel. I sat for a few minutes and as quickly as it came on, it was gone. Stood up, got back on the bike and felt just fine again. Weird.
Old McKenzie Highway
Me!  Windy Point
This was Ron's first time riding 242. He was having his own issues, starting strong then losing steam. He didn't feel weak, but just kind of weird in the head (could have fun with that statement). Altitude maybe? It's not that high, but it's higher than what we normally ride, so who knows?
Old McKenzie Highway
Ron
Old McKenzie Highway
Where's a cyclist when you need one? Snowy canyon.
Old McKenzie Highway
Dee Wright Observatory
Old McKenzie Highway
Made it!
Old McKenzie Highway
I think the total climbing was a little over 2,000 ft.
My suspicion is we're having fueling issues. For myself I think the past had me pushing my fitness limits, building strength and stamina. Now I'm stronger, but I don't get hungry, so can run out of steam if I don't remember to eat a little something along the way. In other words, I'm strong enough to go fast and far enough to burn through my energy and come up empty if I don't keep refueling. It's just a thought. I don't have a athletic/sports background, so fueling and energy and all that geeky sports stuff is foreign to me.

Old McKenzie highway is a fantastically fun ride! It seems silly to drive 4 hours just for a 2+hour ride, but it's well worth it. I'd still like to try it sometime from the other side. Maybe next year?
Cheers! :)

More photos on Flickr...

28.45 miles
2:37 time
10.85 av
33.36 mx
4,103 odo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver Creek Falls State Park, 03-19-11

Overnighter at the Coast

Yamaha V-Star 1100