Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ochoco Challenge Day3: Strawberry Mountains

Ochoco12 - Day 3

Today is the big day. The scary day. The "I think I've bitten off more than I can chew" day. We are on the rode at first light. It's cool and beautiful really, to be out so early. Pleasant light. Gentle touch of cool air. About 10 miles south of John Day we turn off the highway onto Canyon Creek Road, a quiet forest road with no traffic. The scenery is gorgeous. The climbing, tough but doable. We will conquer this day!
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Ron
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Dennis
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Kari

Lunch is at Logan Prairie at around 5,000 ft. This is an amazing place.
You climb up through the forest to find this prairie that goes forever. Stunning views.
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Logan Prairie

Ochoco12 - Day 3
Logan Prairie
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Snipe...at least according to the iphone field guide app :)
We had some more climbing after lunch to our highest point of the day, 5898 ft elevation, then an amazing 20 mile downhill that is only dampened by the headwind that tries to push us back.
Ochoco12 - Day 3
More climbing...dammit!
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Pretty roadside flowers
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Descent! Oh yeah!!
We stopped at Trout Farm wayside and campground to put off descending into the heat at lower elevations.
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Trout Farm Trail around the lake
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Waiting out the heat, Shirley and John.
Finally we pull into the Depot Museum in Prairie City, our camp for the night.
Ochoco12 - Day 3
Depot Museum, home for the night

64 miles
140 total miles
3625' gain

10 comments:

  1. The first picture is definitely header-worthy!

    The area looks beautiful. I bet on a bicycle you get even more to see than on a motorcycle.

    Is your gear getting transported from A to B or do you carry your tent and luggage along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you

      We had two (SAG) vehicles carrying our gear. It's a tale in itself the mechanical issues we had with these two trucks. We only had one by the end of the trip, but it all worked out. :)

      Much easier when you don't have to carry your gear!

      Delete
  2. bluekat:

    I can't believe that we may have bumped into each other last week. If only we had known you were in the area. We were in John Day, Dayville and that canyon near the fossil beds. We also passed through Prairie City.

    I used to do a lot of cycling until I wrecked my knee but I wouldn't have the endurance to tackle what you are doing now.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      I think we were in E. Oregon a week or two before you guys. July 8-14. I had a newsletter to do upon returning from our tour, so I'm just now getting around to posting. I almost didn't post as so much time has past.

      I seem to recall some of your posts on cycling. You have/had a pretty nice bike if I remember right.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful area to ride in. Do the SAG wagons stop somewhere for everyone to meet at lunch or is everyone on their own until the destination? It makes me want to dig out my bicycle again and start training but then reality sets in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,
      I agree, I can't get enough of E. Oregon.
      The SAG wagons would pull over regularly to refill waterbottles and resupply snacks. On longer days we would pack a lunch if we wanted something more than trail mix and power bars. If restaurants were available we'd stop, but that didn't happen much. Civilization is few and far between over there. :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pictures Kari. I agree with Sonja - love that first pic.

    Good job on your riding. Sure is a pretty area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Brandy and Dom.
    Hope the non-moto content isn't too boring.
    I promise to ride somewhere interesting on Sam soon...something besides to work and back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the others. The first picture is great. But I also love the images of the summit road and you guys peeking over the railing in the trail. :). Smile worthy.

    Great job. Since you didn't write anything, I am hoping that you found the groove.

    ReplyDelete