Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ochoco Challenge Day 4: Prairie City to Dunstan Homestead

Only one pass to climb today then glorious descending to the middle John Day River and Dunstan Homestead, our stop for the night. We got started early again to beat the heat. There are several interesting stops up Dixie Pass. The big wagon, and the Sumpter Railroad marker. Turn around and look behind us for a nice farewell view of the Strawberry Mountains. After that it's a smokin' descent to Austin House where lunch and ice cream awaits.
Ochoco12 - Day 4
Strawberry Mountains
Ochoco12 - Day 4
Iconic Stop on Dixie Pass
Kudos to Austin House! Per arrangements they graciously opened on their day off to serve us lunch, even after we dragged the tables across the wood floors (fortunately no damage) and we apoligized profusely. This is a great place to stop when your in the area. The ice cream is Delish! and the people warm and wonderful. They have this beautiful old carved bar that came around Cape Horn back in the day. Funny what you can find out in the remote areas of Oregon.
Ochoco12 - Day 4
Carved bar that came around Cape Horn and ended up here!
We leave the highway and follow the scenic bikeway along the middle fork of the John Day River. Shortly after our turn onto Hwy 7 we stop at an artesian well to fill up on cold, refreshing water flowing profusely from the pipe. Water fights ensued.
Ochoco12 - Day 4
Cooling off at the artesian well
Ochoco12 - Day 4
Water fight! I missed the really good soaking that happened just before this scene. 
Ochoco12 - Day 4
Middle fork John Day River

Ochoco12 - Day 4
Perfect conditions
We have a pleasant, descending ride with a headwind just so it's not too easy. Plenty of cattle guards to cross this day. Glad I finally learned how to ride over them. Again, can't say enough about the quiet roads and the beautiful, rugged scenery. I love every minute of it.
Ochoco12 - Day 5
Dunstan Homestead
We camped at Dunstan Homestead, a part of the Nature Conservancy that is restoring portions of the river/watershed area. In the barn is a cute little apartment with a kitchen, bath, sitting area and sleeping loft.

35 miles
175 total miles
1804' gain
Roger's Journal
My Flickr

10 comments:

  1. What a great day Kari.

    I didn't know that the wagon was on Dixie Pass. I learned something. Having just been there you'd think I would have known that.

    Love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I couldn't have told you what pass it was til I rode a bicycle up it. Somehow it took on new meaning when on a bicycle. :)

      Delete
  2. BlueKat:

    As Trobairtz said, we didn't even know we were on Dixie Pass. That was probably the Wagon Train at the lookout near the top of the hill that we screemed pass towards Prairie City. We didn't have time to stop as we were running late.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we past it on our trip last year. Ron remembered it, but I didn't. I must have been focused on getting to dinner. :)

      Delete
  3. That really is a beautiful area. In the pictures, it doesn't look that hot...

    Nice shot of you guys on the wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      We tried to get an early start and beat the worst of the heat. I think it was around 7:30 am when we were at the wagon.

      Delete
  4. Kari:

    I've had a chance to read ahead by going to Roger's Journal. I can't help but smile when I noticed that photo of everyone sleeping on the floor/chesterfield. You have to be good friends.

    Also I remember how you were "trapped" in your bedroom upstairs in our Montana cabin

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol-That was Ron and I (I'm reading a book on my iphone) Dave on the couch and Nicolette on the loveseat. The upside to being in the house was AC! Downside was the early birds who had breakfast at 4:30 am. No sleeping then.

    The Montana cabin wasn't too bad until I had to sneak down to use the bathroom. Oh well, at least it had a bathroom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The roads look so enticing. Sigh.

    You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lori,
    I'm already planning my next trip back to the area. Will be waiting for cooler weather though! :)

    ReplyDelete