Friday, October 19, 2012

Ankeny Wildlife Refuge

Sunday we decided to go for a little hike through Ankeny Wildlife Refuge. We hadn't been out there for quite some time and it's the perfect time of year to pay a visit.
Ankeny Wildlife Refuge
Along the boardwalk
AnkenyNWR_IMG_7591
Bird blind
Ankeny Wildlife Refuge
Berries of an unknown origin
We walked along the boardwalk and found an unexplored path at the other end. The path ended up being a pleasant walk though some woods, crossing a couple of old wooden bridges. We returned to the boardwalk along one of the dikes that cuts through the refuge.
Ankeny Wildlife Refuge
Old Bridge along the trail
Ankeny Wildlife Refuge
Snippets of scenes along the trail
Ankeny Wildlife Refuge

Ankeny Wildlife Refuge
Caterpillar view
Not a remarkable weekend, but a rather nice one despite the return of our rainy season.

On another note...

KTM ... bicycles?

Who knew? KTM makes bicycles. I could rock one of these :)
From the KTM website



12 comments:

  1. Beautiful fall photos Kari.

    Ankeny Wildlife Refuge - lived here almost 12 years and still haven't been. I may just have to get out there and go one of these days. There is just too much to see and do in our valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandy,
      It's a nice spot for a short hike without driving too far. Just a hint though...Finley Refuge to the south is the best one. More trails and a couple of farm houses/barns.

      Delete
  2. Lovely captured spirit of the autumn. Isn't a walk through the forest refreshing?

    We have seen the KTM bicycles on the Intermot in Germany but I am sure they cost an arm and a leg.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonja,
      Yes very refreshing and so peaceful!

      Delete
  3. The pictures are wonderful. They really seem to capture the Fall feeling.

    As far as the KTM bicycle, are you ready for the surgery to modify your foot to fit into the socket where most bicycles have pedals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard,
      I think I'll pass on the surgical modifications...I"m not quite that desperate :)

      Delete
  4. Kari:

    I love your Autumn leaves, and also low angle perspectives so you have scored big time with these.

    Ask Ron for the KTM, and then settle on the other one you were looking at last month. Tell him I said "you were worth it"

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob,
      I love taking low angle shots for some reason. Often come home with too many. The G11 makes it easy.

      Delete
  5. I, too, like the low angle perspectives. And, I love the woolly worm.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith,

      I love the woolly worms (we call them fuzzy bears). I was dodging them today on my bicycle ride. They're all over!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! This time of year always presents so much to photograph. I'm rather sky oriented these days, but you remind me to keep looking down, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha,
      I love sky photos too, especially when the clouds are dramatic!

      Delete