The big climb. We finally did it. Good idea? Who knows. It was there and had to be climbed. Sodaville-Mtn Home road is about a 5 mile climb with some serious grades.
We stopped once for a stretch and as seems to be the status quo for me, I got weak and slightly nauseous and had to sit down for a bit. I don't know why I do this. It's not a bonk because I recover in a few minutes after downing some fuel. Whatever, it's annoying. I had a few stingers and some trail mix. A little rest then I was back in the saddle and feeling fine. (As fine as one gets on a 5 mile climb with steep grades!)
A stop at the top to goof around and take a few pics, then a sweet downhill that went on forever. I wasn't feeling confident on the downhill. Kept my speed down below 30 for the most part and was afraid to grab the brakes or let go of the handlebars with either hand. At the bottom of the hill at our turn my bike got squirrely in the corner. Somewhere coming down the hill the back tire had flatted. Guess that explains the funky handling and crazy fishtail at the end.
 |
| Sodaville Mountain Home Road |
 |
| Being silly |
 |
| Great view! |
I decided to change the flat myself. I've changed tires before, but at home in practice. Never on the road. If I'm going to ride solo, I need to be sure I can still do it. I wasn't much slower than any other rider fixing a flat and could air up the tire to a reasonable amount. Not a bad job.
We were back on the road, Santiam Terrace. Crossed the highway and headed out toward Bates Bridge for a little refueling.
 |
| McDowell Creek |
 |
| Lunch break |
We didn't really have a plan beyond the big climb, so just rode on until we felt tired. In this case we rode out to Lacomb Drive and turned back toward Lebanon. Nice 40 mile ride. Slow and relaxed, the way I like it.
41.14 miles
3:45 time
10.92 av
33.03 mx
5108 odo
Comments
Post a Comment