Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Some Journeys are not so Sweet

Thanks everyone for the great comments. It's really good to be in contact again. 

We've been in the midst of a medical crisis with our daughter since last December, which is ongoing. She was diagnosed with leukemia and is currently undergoing treatment. She will have a bone marrow (stem cell) transplant this week, and hopefully this will put us onto the long road of remission and recovery. 

I have been lurking/reading blogs as time allows, but haven't been commenting/posting. Partly because my focus was elsewhere and partly because I had a netbook with a terrible keyboard that didn't encourage typing more than a brief note! 


I'm hoping to be a little more active with blogs this spring though I'm sorry to say will not have much moto-content for a while. Hikes, walks, and maybe an occasional bicycle ride (yes, I have stowed my bike in my car, so I can sneak in a ride now and then). Unfortunately the Ninja doesn't fit in the car.  :(

So, there you have it. On the whole we are doing as well as can be expected. We've had a few set-backs and too much bad news, but hopefully we are on the last big hurdle to remission and recovery. 

Gotta say, the kid got the million dollar view!
Untitled

Untitled
'Tis good to be back :)

21 comments:

  1. Kari:

    So sorry . . . hope the operation is a success, you don't need to be burdened with more stress.

    glad to have you back

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sharing this. Our thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and your family.

    Is there no other way to get the view?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your daughter. My wife and I send our good wishes your way. I always enjoy reading your biking and hiking pictures! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bluekat - I will put your kiddo in my prayers for remission and recovery. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One always worries a bit when a blog goes quiet.

    Usually it is not lack of time or enthusiasm but more serious 'life stuff' happening.

    I am so sorry to hear of your daughter's illness and hope for her speedy recovery. All the best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoughts and prayers!! I hope the remaining hurdles are small and easily overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so very sorry about your daughter. I offer my most sincere wishes for her strong recovery. And I wish you all much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post Bluekat....hopefully I'll be able to see you soon along with Ron. If she wishes and is able, we could put your daughter in the sidecar for a little spin.

    dom

    Redleg's Rides

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending thoughts and prayers for all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kari and Ron:
    Dom had shared your email reply and I was struggling to find just the right words of support. Know that we're thinking of you, sending healing vibes to your daughter and strength for you and the extended family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kari,
    So sad to hear the news but very best wishes to the whole family for a successful outcome - will be thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have missed you and your comments.

    Tough times.

    Praying...

    and waiting hope fully.
    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending out our besh wishes from down under in Aus and NZ.

    I hope all goes well for your special little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you and your family love, peace, hope and above all good news and recovery.

    <3 take care <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry for your trials. We don't realize how good our life is until something like this happens. I'm hoping for the very best results for your daughter, and best wishes for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear the news Kari. I hope all goes well with the stem cell transplant and she is fast on the road to recovery.

    Remember we are only 20 miles away so please if you or Ron need anything at all no matter how big or small, let me know. Just click on the 'email me' on my blog if you don't have my cell number from riding season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!
    I'm overwhelmed
    Thank you for the wonderful thoughts and well wishes. I'm touched.
    Rachel is getting her stem cells as I type and doing very well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Bluekat:

    By the grace of God you'll have nothing but good news from this point on. I am praying for you and your daughter's fast recovery.

    Sincerely,
    Jack Riepe

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry to hear, she's in our prayers. Wishing for a full and fast recovery. All the best to your family.
    I do know that view, I was up there in 2010, it's nice to visit but not to stay, hoping her stay is brief.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sad to hear this but glad to hear you have a marrow match. Seems so unfair for kids to have to go through such things.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope the transplant has gone well, and that you're beginning to celebrate her recovery?

    ReplyDelete