Saturday, June 13, 2015

Ordway to Pueblo - Mountains Ho!

June 13
50 miles

There was no earthly reason to start early today, so we decided on an 8:30 start time. We could sleep in! I awoke at the unseemly hour of 6:30 am, as did everyone else. Well, we tried to sleep in. Breakfast was in the room from our supplies which suited me fine. It’s nice to take a break from restaurant food. 

We also awoke to fog, but it cleared by our start time. Our headwind was back, and there were few services along our route. The landscape is changing. Less flat, more like a western landscape.

We stopped for a snack in Boone, at their little store and hardware store combo. I liked this place. It was fun strolling through the hardware isles … like regular folks. How long since I’ve been to the hardware store? He had a nice variety of supplies. Not just the hardware, but the groceries and supplies that would be appreciated by cyclists. I had a Starbucks Frap., and I should have eaten something more. This refueling for riding is tough when I'm not actually hungry. But if I don’t eat enough I feel it. 
Boone Store and Hardware
Today we spotted the Rockies. There be mountains! A nice landmark, a new chapter to our adventure. Highway 96 joined HWY 50. A busier road but we now had a nice shoulder to ride on. We stopped at an intersection to try to figure out our route into Pueblo when Roger noticed a guy had pulled up in his SUV. He gave us directions and mentioned he had a bike shop in town. The ride in to Pueblo was through a seedier part of town. This isn’t unusual, but you don’t want to linger. 
Them's mountains over thar
Once to the downtown area, we happened to stop right next to the aforementioned bike shop where we would wait to connect up with May, so I had a few minutes to look around. Before I could find anything, May showed up and we loaded the bikes to head to our hotel.

After finding our hotel and getting cleaned up we went out for food. Great place, Noodles Company. I wish we had one at home. Bangkok curry - Yum! I noticed on the way out that the wind had turned to the east, and if we were riding, we’d have a great tailwind - Darned wind!

50 miles

10 comments:

  1. Maybe you need to hang around town until the afternoon wind blows you uphill into the Rockies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My restless, anxious personality won't let me do that ... must be on the road ...

      Delete
  2. You'll need more than tailwind to get through the mountains. Looking forward to your next leg of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to search around Pueblo for bike motor to hide in my trunk bag!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. ... but I hate waiting :)
      I'm my own worst enemy

      Delete
  4. Pueblo eh? So you guys are taking US50 through the state?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow we're taking 96 out of Pueblo to Wetmore. 67 to Florence. 115 to Canon City. I'm not sure of the other roads, but we're going past Royal Gorge, over Hoosier Pass, and through towns Hartsel, Silverthorne, Kremmling, and Walden before crossing into WY.

      Delete
  5. I think you need to find an electric assist to help you up the hills.

    I hear you on restaurant food. I think I'd have been sick of it a few weeks back. At least you are burning it all off riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm burning it off. I'm eating plenty of it, and then some.

      Delete