Rainy Hike and a Little Pondering

Rainy Hike

Today was a hiking day. A take it easy just get out and move kind of day. I've been wanting to explore the logging road about McDowell Creek Park, so that's where we headed.

The weather today has been warm and rainy. We had some rain, but the worst of it held off until after we were back to the van.

Cedar Creek runs into McDowell Creek

Turns out the road is a rather ordinary logging road that leads to a tree farm. There's a cute stream and a few views of hills full of half grown trees. Not terribly steep for the most part, so I may have to back with the bike and give it a longer explore.

Ponderings...

My coach asked what we do to stay motivated this time of year. Here is my answer:

1. Having the right gear for the weather. Discovering cycling and all weather gear was a game changer for me. I was a dedicated cotton wearer before that. Winters became more tolerable because I could get outside and not freeze to death. I didn’t have to be stuck indoors all winter long. Being comfortable is a great motivator.

 2. Picking the right activity for the weather. I'd rather go for a hike or trail run in bad weather than bike, or do a gravel ride when foggy - away from traffic. Learned this through trial and error. Once I discovered it, I’ve been less inclined to bicycle on cold, wet days. Someday perhaps I’ll give a snow sport a try. Haven’t ventured after that yet. 

3.Trying something new or exploring a new trail or route. Sometimes thats enough to get me outside. I love exploring a road or trail that’s new to me.

4. Can’t stand how I feel when I’m not active. Sometimes the best I can do is remind myself that I will feel better after doing something. I get restless, but I’m also lazy, so it can be a battle at times.

5. Notice the theme? It’s all outside. Motivation to workout inside is a whole different game. Usually involves distraction. Think Netflix. Or audio books/podcasts. I’m growing a little fonder of Zwift. I like that it controls the trainer. I don’t pay much attention to the riders on the screen. So I guess that’s a work in progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver Creek Falls State Park, 03-19-11

Overnighter at the Coast

Yamaha V-Star 1100