This weekend the sun came out to play, so it was time for our annual ride up the old McKenzie highway. The old McKenzie highway is the old route between Sisters to Eugene. For as long as I can remember it has been a scenic route only available in summer. The main highway is to the north. No trucks or trailers are recommended on this pass, and for local motorcyclists and cyclists alike this is a must do route. For a few weeks in spring it's available to hikers and cyclists to enjoy car free.
I put out the word that we were riding it this weekend and invited other riders to join us if they like. A few friends from my
Pure Endurance triathlon group and some friends from my bicycling group planned to ride as well. So much more fun with friends along for the ride! Everyone would ride at their own pace, rather than as a group, so we would only see each other occasionally as we passed each other on the road.
 |
| Ron |
The old McKenzie highway is an unusual and beautiful route. The views at the top are both stark and stunning. The lava field is surreal. The mountains are in your face, as is the brisk wind that hits you as you round Windy Point. And it has a castle at the top. Albeit a lava castle rather than a kingly castle filled with royalty.
 |
| Alethea |
There is also the question whether the road was open to cyclist/hikers this year or closed. Several conflicting news articles didn't help to clear things up, but local bike shops said it was open, and most of us riders felt that the open/closed question was ODOT's way of clearing themselves of any liability should you choose to go. ODOT also said the closure restrictions are the same as they have always been, so I guess what they mean is nothing is changed. It seems 2020 is the year of obscure regulations and protocols.
 |
| Wade |
Old McKenzie Highway is your basic mountain pass ride -- up, up, up, down, down, down, and not much else. I'm a slow climber. I can endure for long distances, but I'm not fast. This year was a bit of a gabfest going up. Apparently my aerobic conditioning now is such that I can chat my way up a mountain side. This is good news for me, and perhaps distressing news for those around me forced to endure my endless nattering.
A few years back there was a large forest fire that swept through the area. It's sad to see the charred remains. The mountains can be glimpsed through the blackened trunks of the forest. Just another surreal scene on this epic ride.
 |
Happy accident: I hadn't planned a black & white photo
but accidently hit that filter. |
I probably took fewer photos on this ride than in the past. Too busy chatting and visiting with friends, and I already have shots of all the iconic scenes. Sometimes the purity of just riding is a beautiful thing. A couple of my fellow riders were generous enough to let me use some of their photos to fill in the missing pieces.
 |
Team mates Rebecca, Kari, Joe
These two are fast. They were coming back down
as I was going up.
Photo courtesy of Rebecca W. |
 |
| Ron at Windy Point |
 |
| Alethea and Mt Washington in the background |
 |
Ron and Kari, Windy Point
Photo courtesy of Alethea WR |
The best part of this ride is riding through the lava field and then the high banks of snow leftover from plowing. I didn't get any real good shots of this section this year. I didn't feel like stopping, and shooting "on the fly" is tricky going up hill in tight quarters.
 |
Wade and Ron
Through the lava field |
 |
| Going through the snowbanks. |
 |
| Ron. Almost there! |
Stopped long enough for a few photos at the top. The castle. Two of the Three Sisters. Mt Washington (which I forgot to get a shot of), ate some munchies, and took a pic with the elevation sign. Then it was time for the sweet downhill run.
 |
| The lava castle |
 |
Requisite photo op by the elevation sign
Ron, Wade, Alethea |
 |
Yours truly
Photo by Alethea |
 |
| Kari, Wade, Ron |
 |
Alethea
Had to do the overhead thing because this
was the light bike. :) |
I think I'm getting braver on my down hill riding. I kept up with Ron for the most part, barely braked before corners, and didn't let the rough spots phase me. It was exhilarating! On the flatter section heading back to Sisters, I had a chance to try out the new aerobars. No way was I going to try them on the steeper section. All and all I am liking them.
With restaurants closed or take out only, I decided a picnic would be easier than the complicated logistics of finding take out and then locating a place to eat it. It seems everyone thought the same, so we lingered for a socially-distanced picnic on the lawn by the parking lot. I had the classic PBJ sandwich. I think Alethea might have had a spam sandwich. (Yes you heard right. Spam--lol) As she explained it actually makes sense that this is a great food on the bike, but it sounds so ... spammy!
Ron and I took the North Santiam highway home. fifteen minutes longer for us, but has the added bonus of fresh scenery from our regular South Santiam trek.
 |
| Two of the Three Sisters |
I first did this ride with our bike club many years ago. In that first decade of riding I think I only rode it a couple of times. These past few years it's become an annual, or at least, a semi-annual tradition. This year, depending on how Covid-19 goes, I may even try to ride it several times. And maybe try the westside once it's clear of snow. Maybe. I'm glad I got at least one ride up McKenzie. It seems to be a part of my spring ritual now.
Looks like a nicely scenic ride, though I think I'd do it with a motorcycle....thank you very much....you energetic bicyclists do have my admiration. ;)
ReplyDeleteYes. Motorcycle. It's a great motorcycle ride! 😃
ReplyDeleteWow, you have my fullest respect. Well done, Kari.
ReplyDelete