Cascade Lakes Scenic Drive
Road Trip!
Yet another "wild and crazy spur of the moment type thing" for which I am famous.
When we hit the road it’s hard to say where we might end up.
Today was a treat for me. We found a road. A new to me road. I love discovering a road I've never travelled. I was instantly in a better mood.
The last thing I expected was to end up on Cascade Lakes scenic highway. We had no plans to be anywhere near there, but well that's how our road trips go.
I've never been on this road except for just a few miles out of Bend, but never followed it all the way to the end. Coming in from the south gave us some nice views of the mountains. We would get an even better view at our lunch stop.
We stopped at a small campground for lunch, then backtracked to explore the trailhead up to South Sister. We got as far as the sign. I had thought about hiking up a ways, but I hadn't considered the elevation and that snow would still be on the ground. A hiker passed us with a snowboard. Yeah, we were highly unprepared. Oh well, maybe it will be enough encouragement to try this hike later in summer. We should do it at least once in our lives right?
Yet another "wild and crazy spur of the moment type thing" for which I am famous.
When we hit the road it’s hard to say where we might end up.
Today was a treat for me. We found a road. A new to me road. I love discovering a road I've never travelled. I was instantly in a better mood.
The last thing I expected was to end up on Cascade Lakes scenic highway. We had no plans to be anywhere near there, but well that's how our road trips go.
I've never been on this road except for just a few miles out of Bend, but never followed it all the way to the end. Coming in from the south gave us some nice views of the mountains. We would get an even better view at our lunch stop.
We stopped at a small campground for lunch, then backtracked to explore the trailhead up to South Sister. We got as far as the sign. I had thought about hiking up a ways, but I hadn't considered the elevation and that snow would still be on the ground. A hiker passed us with a snowboard. Yeah, we were highly unprepared. Oh well, maybe it will be enough encouragement to try this hike later in summer. We should do it at least once in our lives right?
![]() |
| Road trip! |
![]() |
| South Sister |
![]() |
| Broken Top? |






I'm also a fan of new (to me) roads, and a beautiful one that is. Gorgeous vistas, Kari.
ReplyDelete