Went on a little “city walk” in nearby Stayton Oregon. A small town located on the North Santiam River. It’s easy to bypass what I think is the heart of the town, the historic district. The main street goes through the newer commercial area, so unless you turn off of this you miss part of the old downtown area.
I started at Pioneer Park and meandered through residential streets down to the Catholic Church. I don’t know anything about Stayton’s history, but I wonder if it has a catholic heritage. There are a number of nice Catholic churches here and in the Santiam Canyon area, and out Kingston-Jorden area.
https://www.immacstayton.org/
 |
| Immaculate Conception Catholic Church |
I popped out onto First Avenue, the main street through town. Found a short path I’ve always wanted to explore. It’s short, but follows the Salem Ditch and is quite pleasant.
 |
| Odd little stump |
 |
| Salem Ditch |
Stopped for some photos of the Brown House Events Center.
I’ve toured this house on open house day, and it’s fun to go in and have a look around.
https://brownhouse.org/santiam-heritage-foundation
 |
| Brown House Event Center |
I would say Third Avenue was once the main street of the city. There are a few charming businesses there, though some are 2nd hand/collectables type shops you often find in small towns. Many of them looked interesting, but today being Monday, most of them were closed.
 |
| Cute little mural |
 |
| Downtown area |
There is a small cinema with a cute marquee
https://www.starcinema.net/
 |
| Star Cinema |
Not so Shabby - a furniture and home decorating store in a nice old building. At first I thought it might be another church, but when I got close to the building it was actually an elegant old home before repurposing as a business.
https://www.facebook.com/notsoshabbystayton/
 |
| Not Too Shabby furniture store |
Gardner House Bed and Breakfast, and cafe. Built in 1898 and remodeled in 2008. Quite an interesting building. It would be nice to stop by the cafe when things open up once again.
http://www.gardnerhousebnb.com/
 |
| Gardner House Bed and Breakfast, and Cafe |
 |
| Interesting lookout |
Before returning to the car I strolled through the park for some photos of Jordan Covered Bridge.
 |
| Jordan Bridge in Pioneer Park |
 |
| Add caption |
• • •
Easy walk
2.43 miles
Thank you for the tour!
ReplyDeleteYour welcome ☺️
Delete