McCulloch Peak
Nope. Didn’t go to McCullough Peak. Several reasons for that, the steep climbs, some time constraints, and a bit of lingering fog. Who am I kidding. We all know it was the climbing!
| This is where the hurt starts |
I did ride (well, mostly hiked a bike) to the little viewpoint up past Extendo Trail.
| Not today Satan! |
Lol. It’s not a view point anymore.
| Where's the view? |
![]() |
| Same spot in 2012 |
This was one of my turnaround points. I didn’t get over to Corvallis until late in the morning. Then I had to stop at the bike shop for a water bottle because … guess who forgot to bring her water bottles?
| Guess who forgot her water bottles |
I wasn’t quite ready to turn back, but I also didn’t think I had the time to climb (walk actually) up the last steep bits to the peak. A bit of fog made the possibility of no view added to that decision. (Really wasn’t much fog, like hardly any, but why take chances)
| Looking back down the hill |
I did ride up to the intersection with the 770, planning to ride back to Oak Creek this way. So while the old viewpoint is lost, logging activities have opened up a new view.
| Logging operations |
| New views |
A little farther on I ran into the ominous sign of a tree across the road. Now it would be easy to step over this one, but I have an unfortunate talent for finding roads full of deadfall. Being the non-brave, non-pioneering woman that I am, I opted to return the way I came. I did not want to have to backtrack uphill if I ran into something impassable.
| An ominous sign... |
The return was a brisk flight back downhill. I saw a -24 percent grade at one point. 11-12 percent seemed to be pretty common. No wonder there was so much hike a bike for me. This is why I opt for flat pedals and nice walkable trail shoes instead of bike shoes.
Nice ride. It was very quiet in the forest today. Maybe I'll stick to Dimple Hill climbs or Davies/Nettleton loop for the time being.
7.76 miles | 1070 ft gain

Video link shows unavailable, Bluekat. I liked the patterns in the third picture.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dom, It was just a short video of a little waterfall. It’s not showing for me either. Not sure what I did wrong. 🤨
DeleteI might try to reload it, or use YouTube maybe.