Utah 2023: Heading to Zion

It was nice to wake up and see that yesterday’s dust had settled down and the sky was relatively clear. Overcast, but not dusty. I’ll take it. Today will be a crazy busy long drive to Zion National Park. Well, actually to Hurricane Utah where we will be staying. So yeah, buckle up!


Our first stop was Goblin Valley State Park. This park came highly recommended and I have to say it was a blast wandering around this strange landscape. We could have stayed all day exploring the maze-like valleys. The farther we hiked the more interesting it became. 


Goblin Valley State Park









Back on the road our next stop was the Wolverton Mill. I think I just stumbled on this little gem when exploring on google maps. It’s in the small town of Hanksville tucked away behind the BLM office. I love architecture and old historic buildings. I had to see that amazing wooden water wheel for myself. 

http://www.waterhistory.org/histories/wolverton/



the artsy monochrome shot
  
I had to see this amazing water wheel
love the rough, but intricate construction



After the mill we were back on the road toward Capitol Reef National Park. Once there we only had time to do the main drive out and back. Highly recommend that you go beyond the paved section of the road. Our minivan was fine on the dirt road, and it’s where the scenery really becomes spectacular. Sadly we didn’t have time for any hikes.







Due to questionable weather I hadn’t planned an overnighter near Bryce National Park. I wasn’t sure the roads would be clear of snow, but the weather gods smiled on us and the roads were great. We didn’t have much time to explore the park. At 8000 ft. it was COLD! We bundled up in all of our layers (thank goodness for that hoodie I bought at Mesa Verde). We drove to one of the viewpoints (Ugh—can’t remember which one). It was a short walk out to the observation deck. The views were breathtaking. We grabbed some quick pics and scurried back to the van. Brrrr! I was happy to save hiking for another day. The bike path I had considered riding was still buried under snow. (Yeah, that’s why we didn’t ride…nothing to do with the cold)








I don't think we even spent an hour at Bryce. It was getting late and we still had a ways to go. The sun was pretty low in the sky when we passed the east gate into Zion National Park. More on that in the next post.

Comments

  1. Been snowed on in Bryce....quite chilly! Been through Hanksville but didn't know about that mill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Never thought I'd stumble across something you hadn't already discovered 😆 You would like it though --no one else was there. Our kind of place.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Silver Creek Falls State Park, 03-19-11

Overnighter at the Coast

Yamaha V-Star 1100