Aurora Borealis
A rare occurrence tonight: An astral event and a cloudless sky. Oregon clouds nowhere to be seen. No fog either.
Tonight the northern lights are dipping down to our latitude tonight. I’m not much of a night photographer, but I had to see if the northern lights would make an appearance, and indeed there was a little color hiding in the dark.
My iPhone does a pretty good job of pulling out the color (I don’t even try with a real camera.) Some added post processing in Lightroom to bring out the color a bit more. I have a good camera. Perhaps I should learn how to use it for these kind of things.



Nice color! The violet/red is a rare color as it requires much higher energy particles from the sun.
ReplyDeleteThanks Richard. There wasn't much color showing, but the phone managed to pick it up. A couple years ago I had bright violet with some green. It really stood out that time. So pretty to see,
DeleteGood aurora pics. I had to Google the settings for when I had a real camera, and it still took some post-processing.
ReplyDeleteApologies Dom, the notification for your post was caught in my spam filter and I didn’t see it until today. Gotta love Gmail’s selective sorting. I had to google the camera settings as well. I tried it with my big camera a couple years ago with disappointing results. Easier with the iPhone. Thanks 🙂
DeleteBeautiful, we have seen pink skies over here as well. The privilege to watch such a phenomenon is a gift from Nature. Cheers from the other side of the pond. SonjaM
ReplyDeleteCheers Sonja, It is indeed a wonderful gift we rarely get to see this far south. I guess it was even more spectacular a few hours later, but I didn’t stay up for that.
Delete